Yellow Bullet Forums banner

5/8 vs 1/2 studs

5K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  383-Nova 
#1 ·
At what point do you go with 5/8 over 1/2?

Is there a benchmark HP or rule of thumb?

#12 ·
Exactly what I was going to say.
No reason to order new axles without them.
Should be an automatic upgrade to race axles now a days that we all use racing wheels instead of stock with slicks.

#11 · (Edited)
I don't think I found wheels with conical seats that would take 5/8 studs, and the right conical nuts for my car. If you go with flat aluminum, the stud will pass through the wheel, but will need to be spot faced for the flanged nut, or the spacer.

#13 ·
I don't think I found wheels with conical seats that would take 5/8 studs, and the right conical nuts for my car. If you go with flat aluminum, the stud will pass through the wheel, but will need to be spot faced for the flanged nut, or the spacer.
THIS ^^^^

The centers in the Monocoque wheels on my Beretta had to be spot faced when we upgraded to M-W 5/8" drive studs, so the spacers could have a place to "nest".

#22 ·
Here is a chance to get free drive studs when purchasing axles from the company the first created Drive Studs years ago.

SAVE NOW!
Purchase a set of MW the Hi-Torque axles and bearings OR a set of MW MasterLine axles and bearings between now and the end of the year (12/31/19) and get a FREE drive stud kit or wheel studs.

#23 ·
Does that count on the 40 spline Super Lite gun drilled axles and housing ends and ceramic axle bearings I purchased two-weeks ago? Maybe you could offset the price against a new set of titanium drive studs??? Also bought an aluminum driveshaft from you this year!
Sales rep was Brian.
Merry Christmas!
Thanks,
Jeff Lee

MW parts: 4WDB - Drive Shaft - Pro Dana 60 complete - LW Steel spool, cap, Front quick disconnect & rear yokes.

By the way readers. I ordered axles and they were delivered in I think TEN DAYS!

#25 ·
I did the 5/8" studs simply for the ease of putting the wheels back on the car! No more trying to align the holes to get the stupid lugnut shanks aligned. Just put the wheels on, put the spacer/washer on, then the nut, so damn easy! And having more strength there is a plus!

#26 ·
When I upgraded to 33 spline spool/axles from Moser I chose 1/2" instead of spending the extra (I think) 40 dollars for the 5/8" and I regret that decision. Now 2 years later I sent them back and had them drill for 5/8" for 190 parts/labor plus shipping. Not expensive but could've saved more had I started with bigger studs. Still cheaper than body work ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.