Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mostly street car. race only once in a while.....ive seen rings for the pistons for a 6" rod are thin. where as a 5.7 rod piston for a 3.75 stroke can be had with thicker rings...which piston set up is better for a mostly street drivin application...

perhaps im concerned that with the thinner rings they wont hold up as well being subjected to constant driving or am i over thinking it and should i just get the 6 inch rods and pistons with thinner rings???

thanks in advance!!!!

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
The 6 inch rods are a good choice, thinner rings are not except for a all out race motor. They don't last as long, make hp or two, less friction, but not worth it for a driven car. You have some really good choices in plasma moly rings thats will last and perform big time......I run .043 upper rings with my gas ported pistons myself, but it is a all out race application.....

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
My dad runs a 408sbc .. .040 over...with the 6.0" rod. 10 years and still going strong. Mostly a street thumper.. 11 to 1 SRP, Eagle 4340 Rotating Assembly.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
i use a wiseco piston kit pt018h4 which utilizes a 6" rod. the rings are standard 1/16 1/16 3/16. this kit is high compression though but i know they have a flat top kit that is essentially the same. it comes with a plasma moly ring that'll seal great for street, strip and even nitrous.

·
Butch
8,209 Posts
mostly street car. race only once in a while.....ive seen rings for the pistons for a 6" rod are thin. where as a 5.7 rod piston for a 3.75 stroke can be had with thicker rings...which piston set up is better for a mostly street drivin application...

perhaps im concerned that with the thinner rings they wont hold up as well being subjected to constant driving or am i over thinking it and should i just get the 6 inch rods and pistons with thinner rings???

thanks in advance!!!!
If using stock block I would not use a 5.7" rod as the piston becomes heavier so that means more stress on the block

In factory block 400's I use 6" rods. I would use a Probe Industries Sportsman Race Series piston, Most of them are 1/16" 1/16" 1/8" ring packs and priced nice for the wallet

I would also use Scat I Beam Pro Comp Rods with the 7/16" rod bolts, Excellent rod and can be purchased for about $320.00

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
In an app like you describe the difference is trivial. IOW, it won't make any difference.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
If using stock block I would not use a 5.7" rod as the piston becomes heavier so that means more stress on the block

In factory block 400's I use 6" rods. I would use a Probe Industries Sportsman Race Series piston, Most of them are 1/16" 1/16" 1/8" ring packs and priced nice for the wallet

I would also use Scat I Beam Pro Comp Rods with the 7/16" rod bolts, Excellent rod and can be purchased for about $320.00

excellent. bout time someone praises them rods

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
OEM motors today with 4" strokes in SB motors are 1.2mm, that's .047"..... a 1.5mm or 1/16th ring is perfectly fine and normal for this. Go 6" rods

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
What is your crank made for? Can't run a 5.700" rod with a crank counterweight made for a 6.00" rod, you can the other way around but depoending on the crank it might need mallory to balance up. If you don't have one yet, just go with a Eagle rotator with the SRP piston and 6.00" H-beam. That setup is more than fine for most combinations.

·
Procharged SBC Enthusiast
5,150 Posts
You can go 5.85 rod and get a little more stability with ring placement. But anyone of the three choices should work fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts