Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Motorboatin SOB
10,309 Posts
If it was me, I would be looking for a 6.0. They are both great and have awesome potential. Bad thing is is that the 5.3 are easier to come by than the 6.0's...atleast by me anyway.

5.3's came in trucks, tahoes,suburbans, maybe some vans (all half ton obviously) from 2000 (or 2001) through today. Ive read that the 04+ 6.0's have better wrist pin design that 03 and older, not sure if its the same on the 5.3's or not.

No replacement for displacement, right?

·
Registered
210 Posts
4.8, 5.3, 6.0..... probably no difference.. all limited by the same internals. All can go 8.60's if you put them in a light enough car.

·
Registered
289 Posts
skinnies is a personal friend of mine and i can tell you that the motor he uses L33 is a little more rare than you think. the other guy that builds these things with him 'maxxmitchell' has a 6.0 and it makes very good power. it would be best if either of them chimed in and said WHY they went with one motor or the other. i will shoot one of them a text.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
lq4 lower compression for booost

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
around here you can get bare 5.3's for 250 with milage on them. 450-650 for a low mile unit.
6.0s are still going for at least 800 bucks, and thats with over 100K on the clock. you want a low mile unit, you are going to spend 1200-1700 bucks depending.

id boost a 5.3. grenade it and toss in another.

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
Bang for the buck, I'd go 5.3. I'm really happy with mine so far, just on motor, can't wait to spray it or boost it!!

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
The small bore/small chamber configuration of the 5.3 has a much broader range for tuning error as its less likely to detonate in poor conditions. The larger the bore and chamber, the narrower that tuning window/margin of error becomes.

·
Registered
653 Posts
We ran a lq4 in maxx's car with a t6 gt88 on 24lbs, it made over 800rwhp on 18lbs and less timing. I am running the L33 aluminum 5.3 as it has the better rods and is lighter, made 855 on 24lbs with a billet 76mm. I'd look at doing the cheapest motor you can if it's your first one you are trying to build. Tune is key on these motors, with a bad tune it'll die quickly, good tune they can last quite a while!

·
LSXTTFMF
927 Posts
The stock PCM has ALOT of control if the right person is behind the laptop putting the tunes in them! 3bar SD capable with plenty of control for timing and tranny functions. I'm using the stock 0411 PCM until I just run out of room on it.

·
AMP Racing member
3,491 Posts
I need to find a deal like that...

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I need to find a deal like that...
The deals are out there, I got a 6.0 that was pulled from a junkyard for free, and i just bought a 5.3 with 24k for $175. Keep your eyes open for stuff and let local people around your area know that u want an ls and itll practically find you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts