Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have real-world experience in performance and drivability between C16/water meth injection and E85? The car is street driven (sometimes) and the availability of pump E85 is unpredictable.

Combo:
Gen 3 5.3 LS1 (stock)
BW S475 - No intercooler
Tooley stage 2 turbo cam
Added ring gap (.028)
Holley mid-rise 4150 intake
CSU blow-through

C16 (for the track) seems like a better choice because I can run pump gas on the street, in my opinion. Thoughts?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would look at the realist amount of times and miles you're gonna drive on the street. Out of the 3 my choice is E but, I understand not having alot of access too it. Switching between C16 and pump in a blow thru will require a bunch of tuning changes. If you're running a 6014 box the timing is simple and a key stroke or having two maps setup on the selector knob. But dialed in for C16 you will be rich switching to pump gas. If you're just going to cruise here and there around the block and play around a little and choose to stay on gas I'd just run the C16 all the time and not worry about the pump gas.

If you're going to be highway cruising and doing some distance driving then for obvious reason C16 wouldn't be financially smart. But, with a gen 3 and a s475 you can push it pretty far on pump gas. I ran 93 pump gas with a gen 3 and a 98mm turbo on my first blow thru. It took some work getting the tune dialed in but I went 5's with that setup. Blow thru is great for non intercooled applications.

·
Registered
23,254 Posts
How much power on the stock LS ?

I would say 93 and water meth should make 850 safely .

If you wanted over 1000 then C16 is the way to go .

The added timing and boost on C16 will compensate for the slower burn and should keep the AFRs in the same range as 93 and less timing .

I did it for many years on my blow-thru . AFRs were real close between the two . Around 11.5:1

You shouldnt need the water meth with C16 and what that 475 will make on the 5.3 ,might not even need the C16 .

If you dont have a way to change timing on the fly , the C16 is not worth it .

I ran a 7531 box and two separate fuel systems . I still do it now , just with Holley EFI

·
Registered
524 Posts
Use pump gas for the street and add a measured dose of Toluene for the track, a 20% mix of Toluene will give a C16 fuel. 1 gallon of Toluene to 4 gallons of pump gas, it's as easy as that. I've been using this for 20 years in my high comp n/a/ blown/ and turbo combos as race fuel (C16) is a scandalous price over here. I've turned all my mates on to it too, we have a couple of 7 second, 8 second and 10 second cars using it successfully. There is already Toluene in pump gas -so compatibility with fuel hoses,carbs etc is not a problem. Mix it outside and wear gloves.

·
Registered
16,063 Posts
My real world combo is an L33 5.3, LJMS stg 2 turbo cam and an S480, Holley EFI. I run spring pressure (7psi) and 91 on the street, and C16 with CO2, and A2W IC at the track. Clearly I don't phuck around on the street. All of my race tunes are a direct derivative of my street tune. Has gone 8.70's @ 3400# with a soft leave tune up. Might have a .50 in it leaving on more power, on a perfect day. That's on 23#. Twin walbro 450's.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Use pump gas for the street and add a measured dose of Toluene for the track, a 20% mix of Toluene will give a C16 fuel. 1 gallon of Toluene to 4 gallons of pump gas, it's as easy as that. I've been using this for 20 years in my high comp n/a/ blown/ and turbo combos as race fuel (C16) is a scandalous price over here. I've turned all my mates on to it too, we have a couple of 7 second, 8 second and 10 second cars using it successfully. There is already Toluene in pump gas -so compatibility with fuel hoses,carbs etc is not a problem. Mix it outside and wear gloves.
Isn't Toluene around $40/gallon? Maybe still cheaper to mix than crazy C16.

·
Registered
524 Posts
It's gone up in price a bit lately ,but still available on ebay over here for around £65 ($80) for 25 litres. (6.5 US gallons). I buy it cheaper in bulk. C16 costs us the equivalent of $125 for 5 US gallons!

·
Registered
23,254 Posts
I see it on Ebay for $60 - 2 gal

4 gal of 93 is $12 + $30 is only $52 for 5 gal .

Our C16 around here is $90 after tax .

Not a bad deal .

·
Gigity
3,139 Posts
I run a non intercooler setup, with pump gas on the street, and C16 at the track.
It can work. And there is no need to mess with the tuneup between the 2 fuels, set it up safe, and let it eat.
I run EFI now, but I used to run a blow through, so I know that this works with blow through as well.
I also spray w/m pre Turbo, turned on at 8psi. Works well.
I limit my street driving to 10psi.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts