Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys using for ecu's. What are you using to reprogram them. I know a lot of guys are using stock truck ecu's! I wanna turbo a 6.0liter. How do I even know where to begin on the tune???
What kinda prices am I looking at for a program and cabling???
I am a total NEWB to doing this!

·
Which is more disturbed?
10,577 Posts
Denmah seemed to have good luck with Microsquirt and HP tuners with the truck computer

·
Registered
858 Posts
You should probably talk to your local tunning guru to see which system he prefers. I'm sure you have the ability to learn the software, but you probably shouldn't try starting from scratch with a turbo engine.
You haven't mentioned cost yet. Using a GM computer and harness can cost as little as $150 if you buy used and modify the harness yourself. Get someone to help you with HP Tuners and your up and running with relatively little investment. If you have the money then Holley's EFI is a great selection.

In my case I already had experience with HP Tuners so I chose the stock ECM/harness. Since getting my car up and running with the turbos I've added an MSD 2-step and a Boost Leash controller. I'm not sure how much money I've saved anymore by using the stock ECM vs a Holley Dominator EFI. Try to take in the whole picture of cost, features, future expansion, and ease of use when you select which system is right for you.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
From what I understand its a self tuning system.
For the main fuel table, yes. Not aware of any systems that do reliable self tuning on the spark tables, and you'll still want to keep an eye on your air/fuel ratio under boost until it's fully tuned. If you find yourself lean under boost, it's better to lift immediately and adjust the table manually than to wait for the self tuning to correct it. And I'd prefer getting it tuned off boost and extrapolating the tables into boost before putting any real boost pressure on it. (The same is true for any other self tuning system.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts