Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to anyone who can help. At the moment with my project The fuel pump started screaming today while doin some sunday driving, So I have to drop the tank and fix that. This led me to finally complete the TRZ anti-roll install and my question for the board.

What places under the car do you use as measuring points to get the rear centered? Everything is double adjustable rod end so the sky is the limit on tweaking. I used the sidewalls and quarter panels for getting the the rear centerd with the body before, but would like to do it more accurately. I want the the rear centerd to see if it would help a little with my next problem.

At the moment, when I bolt the endlinks and mounting brackets, the driver side has no interference, while the passenger side, the mounting tabs are 1/4" over the 9" pumpkin. I would like to make sure the rear end is centered to see if that would eliminate the problem. Otherwise, I would have to cut a bit more of the mounting tab away to even it out so it will mount. But I don't think I should have to do that.

If anyone could help, I would greatly appriciate it.

Mark Jr.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If I read that correctly, you already have the anti-roll bar mounted/welded, you have the rearend centered using the wheelwells as measurements, and the one tab on the ps isn't sitting on the axle tube but rather on the housing portion.

If that's correct, it sounds like the anti-rollbar wasn't centered up before it was placed/welded, or you centered it up with the housing before you centered the actual housing in relation to the car/chassis. Who makes the anti-roll bar?

As for using measurements under the car, I don't know of any that could help you. As long as the wheels/tires look even side-to-side in relation to the wheel wells, I think you're golden. Just trim the tab to fit and burn em' in. Another option would be to flip the problem tab 180 degrees so the tabs are oriented like this: LL Just throwing out an idea...

Good luck either way.

Mike

·
Registered
342 Posts
In the 3rd pic, is the panhard sittin on top/hung up on the drag bar? Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like is sitting on top of the bar.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I use a plumb bob and hang it off the top of the quarters. That is the best way that I can think of. I would start there.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The anti roll bar doesn't weld in. You bolt it where the upper angle factory brace over the panhard was. I already had to notch the 3 bolt mounting holes 1/2". It was way off when first mounted and my car was never hit, so I know it's strait. Here is a link to the pics that TRZ has. This is their bar. There really is no more moving the bar, so that isn't really an option.

The ARB isn't hitting the panhard. The panhard is moved outward with 1" spacers from it's factory mounting location. The pic does make it look like they are touching though.

Hopefully tomorrow I will have some time and I can make sure the rear is centered using a plumb bob (way better idea than I was using) Then I can see where the mounting tabs are. I can grind it to fit on the housing portion if needed, but I will def. see about mounting it like "LL"

These mouting tabs are not the ones that TRZ provides. I changed to these because I wasn't sure how to weld around both completely. Once you weld around one, the second one is to close to get a torch in, and seens you can one weld 1 side and just the corners, leaving the entire center w/ nothing. Hopefully I explained that clearly, seems hard for me to put into words.

Thank you for all the tips. This really gives me something to go on and hopefully move my project forward.

mark jr.

·
Registered
342 Posts
That is a good looking piece, nice enough where Im considering orderin one up for myself. ;)

As for welding the tabs on, I think that if you burn them in on the outsides and ends, you will be ok once the rodend is bolted in. I dont think youll have a problem. Another thing Ive done though, is make a top "plate" that fits from bracket to bracket to the housing, on the "top" side that seemed to work out pretty well.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally got to making sure that the rear was centered. Used the plumb bob idea and it worked quite nicely. Rear was actually more to the passenger side by about 3/16" Since that moved over, the welds on the center housing moved and I now have less interference. Still not optimal, but the best so far. Only problem with using the ones that came with the bar (flat professional looking ones) is that to set the bar up perfectly, the mounting tab is dead center with the vent hole on the axle. The tab completely goes over the entire diameter of the hole. So I am going to have to chop it and have 3 full length tabs and 1 shorter one.

If I use the flat stymounting tab, the passenger side problem is fixed, but the driver side I run into the vent hole.

If I use the c-shaped mounting tabs, there is no interference with the vent hole, but I run into the housing on the passenger side and would have to weld on top of the weld and notch the tab. Either way thereare problems:rolleyes:
Here are some better pics of what I am talking about:

mounting tab directly in line of vent hole. Going to have to shorten mount.

pass side problem fixed with rear finally re-centered

better pic of how it mounts to the car

Thank you for all the help. Only problrm now is waiting for a fuel pump

mark jr.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts