Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a built 4R70W,transbrake,manual valve body,non lockup 4000 stall converter.
When I go into overdrive & activate the cruise control in works for 10-15 seconds then disconnects.
I have checked everything,speedo works,trans brake,two step,back up lights neutral safety switch etc.
Funny thing,it wants to work but disconnects when it senses a load!
Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
What does your rpm do when it engages, then disengages?

I'm thinking it could be your converter causing this, it's seeing rpm and mph not ligning up?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Does it do this in 4th and 3rd?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What does your rpm do when it engages, then disengages?

I'm thinking it could be your converter causing this, it's seeing rpm and mph not ligning up?
Rpm stays the same when engaged,rpm drops just like letting foot of gas pedal.
This trans s in my 2005 Mustang GT if this helps?

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
Check the brakelight Resistance.

Also the sensitivity of the brakelight switch. If it is activated with a light touch it's too close.

·
Registered
134 Posts
When I still had the 4R70W in my car the cruise control would not work unless I locked up the converter.....so I have to assume that since yours is a non-lockup that cruise control isn't going to work. Cruise would work briefly before I locked the converter but if the rpms changed quickly due to any slight incline/decline on the road the cruise control would shut right off.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I still had the 4R70W in my car the cruise control would not work unless I locked up the converter.....so I have to assume that since yours is a non-lockup that cruise control isn't going to work. Cruise would work briefly before I locked the converter but if the rpms changed quickly due to any slight incline/decline on the road the cruise control would shut right off.
Hi Dysan,thanks for the info.Did Paul's cruise work the same way as well?
So I need a lockup converter & possibly a lower stall?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I honestly don't know about Paul's. I believe he had a non-lockup converter (spragless). I suspect it has to do with the ECU being for a stick shift car originally which isn't going to want to see any variation of rpm vs speed. Maybe there is something that can be adjusted in the tune to allow for the variation yet still have the cruise control work??? That would be a good question for Lito on the S197 Forum.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I honestly don't know about Paul's. I believe he had a non-lockup converter (spragless). I suspect it has to do with the ECU being for a stick shift car originally which isn't going to want to see any variation of rpm vs speed. Maybe there is something that can be adjusted in the tune to allow for the variation yet still have the cruise control work??? That would be a good question for Lito on the S197 Forum.
Ok thanks,I will post it over there.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Mine only works with the converter locked. Like Dysan said, it must be something with the ECU not liking the engine speed verse output shaft speed difference.

Lee

·
On the roller...
15,881 Posts
I just looked it over. I think it involves the value in at least one of the scalars. It's not something I've worked with in the past, but I think a little guess and check may be able to make it work.

Who tuned your cars?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Mike at powerhouse did the baseline when we did the 4R swap 5 years ago. I've tuned it since then. My car is going through another transformation and the 4R is going away. Maybe the OP can benefit from this. Just my opinion but having lock up on a street car...cruiser is really a good idea. Drops tranny temps a bunch!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just looked it over. I think it involves the value in at least one of the scalars. It's not something I've worked with in the past, but I think a little guess and check may be able to make it work.

Who tuned your cars?
So a lockup converter & a tune modification is what is needed.
My car is an 05 GT that originally came with a manual transmission.

·
Registered
134 Posts
A tuner may be able to make it work without you having to do a lockup converter. Best bet is to talk to who tunes your car or shoot Lito a message on S197.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts