Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been fighting this 80E trying to put it together, after I get everything in
place its to tall for the pump. I have had it apart prob 5 times trying to find what
is causing it. Trying to eliminate sections, make sure all the clutches line up, etc.
Pretty certain the gear train is OK, snap ring goes in, bolt goes in, and have .015
output shaft play. Even the bolt fits in the 4th clutch.
Are there some kind of meas. I can take that would lead me
to what's not correct. I had to replace parts, but checked them to be sure they
were correct style. About to just give up and rebuild one of the other cores.

·
Registered
720 Posts
My first guess would be that the direct drum isn't down all the way could be hanging on the int. band or int. clutches. Sometimes it just fights you. Pull out that band and the int. clutches, install the direct drum and take notice were the top of the sun gear shaft (tube) is in the direct drum. Assemble the rest of the trans to see if it all fits. If it does you know what's hanging you up.

Couple tips, before you put the direct drum in try to line up and center the int. clutches/splines. Make sure the int. band is not going to hang on the drum by opening it up a bit wider. Take out the direct clutches and steels so you have a better grip when installing it. While you're trying to install the drum take an air nozzle and put air (just enough to make them apply) to the intermediates at the center support bolt, don't hold the air on but several quick pulls of the air nozzle while you rotate the drum to spline into the int. Also if you had an extra sun gear tube to spline into the direct drum while installing drum can help too.
GL

·
Registered
20,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I pull the drums the clutches all look like they lined up. I pulled it all the way down and
looked it all over, all the thrust washers, bearings seem to be in the right places.
I pulled all the clutches to eliminate that, its still just to tall by like .080. At this point it has
defeated me, lol. I think my next move is pull down one of the other cores and do some
comp. and see if something jumps out, or just start over on one of them. Just makes no sense,
all the parts are correct for the year (02).

·
Registered
720 Posts
Just because they looked lined up doesn't mean they are splined into there corresponding component; trust me.
Check the OD planetary splined into the overrun clutches. You should feel it spline in/down 3 times/3 clutches.
Usually the forwards are easy but like ATD suggests try leaving the friction out of all of the clutch packs and see if it bolts together.
You say your over about .080, that is the thickness of a clutch.

Are there any aftermarket hard parts or did you replace any hard parts in this unit?
Are you sure the pump is going down all the way? I remember you had a difficult time getting it out.
After trying the above for S's and G's leave out the pump washer and see if it goes together.

·
Registered
60 Posts
.080 is about the distance of the interchange between the years. can you verify the components you replaced with the components you installed? Various hard parts from the center support down, had differences from early to late.

·
Registered
20,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It started out as a rebuild from a core I had-I did neglect checking end play before
pulling it down, my fault. What I found on tear down was sprag destroyed, inter.
shaft worn, couple of bushings almost worn thru, center support worn. I verified
all parts were 97 up, ordered replacements, checked them to be sure they were
correct. I was concerned about mismatch parts, esp. with the add. of the .041 shim
added and the diff. center support. I thought I verified end play when I orig built
it, but jumping bet. paint, body work, building the engine, etc, I may have missed
something. When I installed it would lock up going for/back, so I pulled it and
swapped in my trusty old switch/pitch 400 just to get it running, but don't want to
put boost to it. I am no trans guy, just do my own stuff, but have done a few 80E's
so this time shouldn't have been any diff-did this one go bad orig. because parts
didn't jive, I don't know. I think at this point I am starting over on another core,
do it when I can give it 100% rather than jump around on other things. At 72
its a little harder to keep your mind on 10 things at once. Who knows maybe
I will see something on this build that leads me back to a problem on the other.
I app. the info from you guys, hands on you could prob fix, I had 2 sources near
me but they retired and left. I was hoping to do Drag Week, at this point I just
want the truck finished, lol.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Do you have the ATSG book? It outlines the early/late gear train differences at the end of the book.

On the trans case, are the cooler line locations next to each other towards the bell of the case or spread apart with one that you must take out to get the center support out of the case?

·
Registered
20,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the book, thats how I knew about the diffs. I only get the later cores with the return
in the center support. There are other changes in the 04 and up trans, not sure if they were
listed in that book. I found another book that had real pics, was a big help.

·
Registered
20,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The mailman dropped off the pump sel. washers I ordered (ordered Monday, got Wed.) so
I went to the garage and decided to put the trans together just to clear up workbench space.
I decided to be super careful with each section to be 100% sure all clutches were lined up,
esp the direct drum to interms, they seem to be the hardest to line up. I think i fought them
for 20 mins, but finally got them. Somehow everything fit as it should, with the orig. .091 sel
washer I had .027 end play, there is I think a .102 washer in the pack, that should but it in specs.
Not sure what was wrong, just clutches not lined up, but i had it apart 6-7 times and same problem
each time-now do i reuse the pump, VB gaskets (torqed but never installed) or find new ones.
Hopefully this time it works, first time it locked for/back, this time i stoned the case/VB for
better seal also. Still gonna build another, that way if something is still screwed, I can swap
in the other and not go back to the 400, lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts