Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at the point where I need to make a decision on what route to go with transmission selection. I am torn between a 4L80e or a 6 spd.

The car is strictly a street car and will NEVER see the track. The engine is a LS3 with a Vortech YSI. This combo made a little over 830 RWHP in the car it came out of. I do not plan on running that HP level, perhaps 650-700. I already have a 9" with 3.55 gears, as I felt this would be the best gear selection for my application.
I am surrounded by highways, so cruising will be the norm.
Being that I have no experience with a Centrifugal supercharger in a street application, I do not know if an auto is the preferred choice over a manual or vice versa.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
Well, seeing as how it will never go to the track..........transmission selection is going to be solely up to you. You'll never be chasing an et so just get what you prefer to drive. We can't really help you with this IMO.

·
Registered
20,220 Posts
I ran 3.50 gears with a 29" tire, Procharger, and 4L80E-highway cruising was great, lock up the converter and roll
as said, your pref stick or auto

·
Registered
432 Posts
I run a zf 6 speed manual. I have 3.9 gears and mine is also strictly street. The tranny has .75 for 5th and .50 for 6th. I run 3.9 rear with 275-60-15's. I only use 6th on the highway and am at 16-1800 over 70mph any less rear gear and I think I would not use 6th at all but 1rst gear is useless with all that power but makes street driving easy. Mine is a 496 with a d1. I just like a manual tranny.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts