Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing the gear train in my 80E, and the bolt wouldn't go in the center support.
Pulled it back out to ck the threads, look good. I tried a 3/8 16 bolt and it screws in fine,
but the supplied bolt wont. I suspect the correct bolt must be metric.
What should be the correct bolt/thread. Or do I just have a def bolt. I thought maybe I
could chase the bolt threads with the 3/8 dye, no go. This has been the transmission
from hell, lol.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Installing the gear train in my 80E, and the bolt wouldn't go in the center support.
Pulled it back out to ck the threads, look good. I tried a 3/8 16 bolt and it screws in fine,
but the supplied bolt wont. I suspect the correct bolt must be metric.
What should be the correct bolt/thread. Or do I just have a def bolt. I thought maybe I
could chase the bolt threads with the 3/8 dye, no go. This has been the transmission
from hell, lol.

Is the bolt yellow in color? Is this first design center support?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
If so:
The third design center support was fit to all models produced after March 1, 1990 and is identified by a casting number of 8678032. This is the same support used in all production 1991 to 1995 GM 4L80E transmissions. All casting revisions were done to facilitate its installation in the 4L80E transmission as well as maintain a service replacement part for the TH400 that could be manufactured on current OEM production tooling. The third design support received a longer case to center support bolt. The longer bolt must be used with third design supports only. See Figure 6-56. Beginning December 21, 1993, GM Goodwrench Replacement Transmissions assembled with the third design support received a revised case to center support service bolt. The bolt, yellow in color and coated with zinc chromate, has a tighter interference fit when installed in the support compared to the previous design. According to GM, the reaming of the threaded hole and the installation of the new bolt permit the support to be serviced in the field, restoring thread interface integrity. See Figure 6-57. The service bolt and instruction sheet is available under GM Part Number 24202218. In the field, technicians have been known to re-install the OEM bolt without reaming without encountering functional issues.

FIGURE 6-56 GM

FIGURE 6-57 GM

·
Registered
19,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a 2002 trans, the bolt in the kit was gold (or yellow)

·
Registered
19,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I went back out and tried the bolt again, based on what you posted, it appears it is just
a tighter fit, so I went with it, torq to 32 ft lbs. After having to replace a few hard parts, didn't
want to add to my troubles with stripped bolts, lol.
Thanks Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts