Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4l60E binding in 1st gear question.I have a 4l60E that is what I would describe as binding in 1st gear, manual low or drive range.What I mean by binding is it takes excessive pedal to move forward and the rear tires will actually lock up/slide when letting off the pedal.As soon as it shifts to 2nd, it will immediately unbind, feels like a rubber band snapping..reverse, 2nd, 3rd, and OD is all good.Band clearance is within specifications.*Any ideas on this one? I dont know history on transmission other than it was rebuilt by a well known shop years ago and has been sitting. I finished the project car it was in and found this problem. So far I have switched valve body with known good valve body of the same year 94. Also removed transmission and checked everything sprag, clutches. Exc. Ive built over 20 4l60e's never had a problem like this. And yes the trans is getting power and ground signals. Thanks in advanced for the help.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Are you sure you dont have the wrong bolts installed in the valve body at the three location where they can jam the shell?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will do it in D position and manual low?

Hutch
In drive or overdrive it has no first. In manual 1 it binds. Sometimes when first started manual 1 will work normally with no binding normally only for one shift.

2,155 Posts
In drive or overdrive it has no first. In manual 1 it binds. Sometimes when first started manual 1 will work normally with no binding normally only for one shift.
I think you have a bad Shift Solenoid A, I have had more than a few do this. SSA is commanded to be ON for 1st gear if it is bad you will have 2nd gear starts, then you yank the shifter down into low which engages the low/reverse clutches along with the 2/4 gear band this causes the "bind" I have even seen them do exactly as you described above, they will work sometimes after you kill the engine and restart for one shift.

I would change both solenoids, IMO.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you have a bad Shift Solenoid A, I have had more than a few do this. SSA is commanded to be ON for 1st gear if it is bad you will have 2nd gear starts, then you yank the shifter down into low which engages the low/reverse clutches along with the 2/4 gear band this causes the "bind" I have even seen them do exactly as you described above, they will work sometimes after you kill the engine and restart for one shift.

I would change both solenoids, IMO.
Both solenoids have been replaced. And. If A was bad you would have no fourth as well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it won't even move in OD or D? If that's the case then we have more trouble than anything electronic.

Hutch
Car starts in 2nd in drive or overdrive so it moves anf shifts fine from 2nd up.just no 1st unless you pul ma nual 1. Witch goes in 1st but binds.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You checked BOTH sprag and low roller? Input sprag will do some funny stuff similar to this if seized enough.
Yes both I thought orginally one would ha ve been in backwards but there both installed correct and work fine.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay guys found bad ground wire causing trans to loose power at time seen on scanner all data would go in and out. Now has manual first but no 4th. Im thinking it could be the after market 1/2 valve. Has a ball and spring in valve ive seen it before think my nedt step is replacing that.

2,155 Posts
Okay guys found bad ground wire causing trans to loose power at time seen on scanner all data would go in and out. Now has manual first but no 4th. Im thinking it could be the after market 1/2 valve. Has a ball and spring in valve ive seen it before think my nedt step is replacing that.
I was going to suggest a ground/power issue after you said that the solenoids had been replaced. You may still have an issue with the SSA not being energized or grounded properly.

What are you calling the 1/2 valve?

Here is the On/Off chart if you don't already know.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Valve behind 1/2 solenoid or Solenoid A. Originaly I had 4th but no first when I tore down trans I found that some one placed a check ball inside the 1/2 solenoid. After I removed it I lost 4th. Im guessing that mod has something to do with the aftermarket valve and believe if I reinstall it ill be okay. Or replace valve.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im not familiar with this "mod". Sounds like a bit of a trainwreck to me.

Hutch
It is! And why I hate messing with transmission others have( built). But im pretty sure I got it all figured out now. Will update everything with fix later this week.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
It is! And why I hate messing with transmission others have( built). But im pretty sure I got it all figured out now. Will update everything with fix later this week.
A production 4L60E will shift out of manual low range at a preset rpm programmed into the ecm to eliminate engine overspeed in a production application.This can be 3000 for a diesel engine,4500 for a Caprice or 5800 for a ls Camaro.The modification being discussed allows the trans to remain in manual low beyond that rpm allowing the rpm range to be reached that is productive to maximum accelleration.The modification is similar in results to what you accomplish when modifying the 1-2 shift valve and its exhaust port on a th400 to keep the governor from forcing a 1-2 upshift out of manual low at high governor pressure or road speed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts