Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these transmissions electronically shifted? I am asking because I have an ls1 That I want to use a GM trans on and heard that these are decent for what I am trying to do. Its going into a mustang and was wondering what I would have to do to make it work prior to commiting myself to buying one. Thanks for the help fellas.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Re: 4L60 Trans??

4L60/700R4 is not electronic shifted but you better set it up with the TV Cable with the correct adjustment and if you want the Converter lockup you will have to purchase the wiring kit with the Converter Clutch shut off switch for the brake peddle. The 4L60E (The E-Stands for Electronic) shifts by way of A/B Solenoids and is Computer operated.

·
Registered
969 Posts

A 4L60E is what came out behind all of the LSI engines in F-body cars from the factory. They can be built to be reliable in 500+ hp applications. It is completely computer controlled. You can get a stand-alone computer controller that will allow you to use the transmission in any vehicle. Here is a link to the TCI/FAST trans controller:
http://www.fuelairspark.com/Products/details/controller/over.asp

·
Registered
395 Posts

To clear up some confusion.

4l60 = not electronic, basically 700r4.

4l60e = electronic version.

4l60e are not that stout, they are a good trans for a mild LS1 but spraying through the shifts will kill it quickly. I know this from experience.

·
Registered
178 Posts

To clear up some confusion.

4l60 = not electronic, basically 700r4.

4l60e = electronic version.

4l60e are not that stout, they are a good trans for a mild LS1 but spraying through the shifts will kill it quickly. I know this from experience.
That all depends on who builds it. I have 4L60E's in 9 second cars, weighing as much as 4300#. I'm not talking about 1 or 2 runs...I', talking about 3,4, and 5 years worth of race and street miles.

These are a couple pictures of some 4L60E's I've built.

Frank

·
Registered
395 Posts

Sorry I was talking about a stock 4l60e. There is a shop locally that does 4l60e's that never had any problems with them. I was at the U Pull It today and picked up a 4l80e today for $83. So that will be replacing my 4l60e's once I rebuilt it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Is there a cheaper way to have these electronicly shift than the $750 box? This is going in a carved car so not much electronics in the car ay all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts