Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
99 Tahoe set up with a 383 and hydraulic roller for better towing. Hauling my tractor today and had to back it up so I put it in 4wd High because the front tires were in a slight depression, had to gas it a little but not hard and I heard a loud pop and it quit. It'll still go forward but won't move in reverse and whines.
What broke?
Should I spend money on this or replace it with a junkyard 80? (I can get one with fairly low miles from a buddy's junkyard for nothing. Or I can get another 60 for nothing)
If I change to an 80 is it a drop in swap or is it complicated?
Are the gear ratios different and will it help gas mileage?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
My guess would be you stripped/broke the sun shell.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Good advice here... If you'd like to give me a call I would not mind taking the time to help you understand the details of what you are asking. There is an awful lot to consider. Much more than there is room or time to type to be honest. Lot's of guys here could build that transmission for you and can do well. I've got guys all over the country who have gone to an 80e from a 60e in 4wd applications. It's a big job buddy.

In the right hands, the 60e can be built to handle what you are doing with it. It just needs a handful of upgrades here and there in order for it to live long term.

g

1 - 5 of 5 Posts