Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Who Farted...?!?!
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering which direction of rotation the input shaft should slip and which direction it should grab....

think i have an input sprag issue...

vehicle doesnt pull in D or 3...only in 2 or 1 position....and when it shifts to 3rd it just flares with no grab. trans was rebuilt, first time i tried it... thinking maybe the sprag is installed backwards...pulling the trans out tonight, just curious what direction it should slip and grab..:confused:... all help is...as always...appreciated!

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
If you pulled the sprag apart and put it back together upside down it could be your issue. Ask me how I know!LOL! It should freewheel away from you,(to the right and lock left.)If memory serves me correctly....

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
With the forward clutches applied, the sprag should engage with engine rotation. Looking at the drum upside down on the bench, it should be locked counter clockwise.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Correct, free spins clockwise, grabs counter clockwise.

·
Who Farted...?!?!
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Freakin awesome! Looks like that's def the problem, assembled it backwards....thank you soooo much for the info! Good stuff!

·
Registered
178 Posts
We all realize that a 700 and a 4L60E are different, right? a 700 uses the over-runs in manual 1st and 2nd only. A 4L60E uses them in manual 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. This is why a 4L60E will move forward, if the sprag is misassembled, in manual 3rd, and a 700 has to be pulled to manual 2nd. With the sprag in backwards, you're using the over-run clutches to go forward, instead of the forward clutches.

Frank

·
Registered
467 Posts
Thats where I messed up. I'm thinking 4L60E. I even grabbed the 4L60E book to ensure reference, but knowing it was a 700. Duh moment. JShelton- wasn't arguing with you. I have noticed several things wrong in their books.

·
Super Moderator
19,482 Posts
I would have said , if the input sprag was installed backwards you would have had no forward movement in D4 but it would have moved in D3. The coast clutch is on in D3 as the trans will decel in D3 but not in D4 as the coast clutch is not on.

Hutch

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Both the 700R4 and 4l60E units use the overrun clutch in d3,d2,and d1 or lo1 positions and the low overrun clutch in d1 or lo1.If the overrun clutch isnt on in d3 when you lift the gas the driveshaft will be driving the trans and no overrun clutch will disconnect the turbine shaft from the planets until the converter turbine catches up.

·
Who Farted...?!?!
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With the forward clutches applied, the sprag should engage with engine rotation. Looking at the drum upside down on the bench, it should be locked counter clockwise.
just to clarify... if i hold the gear on the top of the sprag, with the drum assembled including clutches, if i spin the drum the same as engine rotation, then the sprag should lock....correct??:smt102

thanks again for your help.

·
Super Moderator
19,482 Posts
If you take the assembled input sprag assembly and you put it on the sun gear(the way it goes in the trans) the outer race (which is connected to the fwd clutchs) should lock to the inner race(part that slides over the sun gear) clockwise and freewheel counter clockwise.

Hutch

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
That's where I messed up. I'm thinking 4L60E. I even grabbed the 4L60E book to ensure reference, but knowing it was a 700. Duh moment. Shelton- wasn't arguing with you. I have noticed several things wrong in their books.
Its all good dude! I wasn't thinking you were trying to argue. As soon as I read the op's original post I thought to myself man I've experienced the same issue and found I had it assembled the wrong way.:rolleyes:LOL! Don't know if that's his problem but I just thought I'd throw it out there. This forum is the best forum on this site with all the experience these guys have on here I learn something almost every day!:cool:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts