1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
WHAT?
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
A good friend of mine just bought one of these exact trailers. The 3 things i noticed was the roof looks a lot cheaper, not rounded off on the edges like most. The cross braces under the floor looked a lot thinner than the Haulmark i had a few years back. The aluminum looked real wavy down the sides also. JMO

·
Registered
401 Posts
axle ratings...I prefer axles that are at least 5200lb rated...those are 3500lb rated...the trailer is as bare bones as you can get...

if you have a light car and not carrying a ton of tools then its a nice deal...

I would look for a nice used one thats loaded with the goodies and higher rated spring, axle, and tongue weights...

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
80,113 Posts
NO IT SAID....YOU CAN PICK ONE UP IN VIRGINIA ALSO....BUT YOU HAVE TO ADD 700......WHICH SEEMS PHUCKED UP...SINCE HE PAID 700 TO HAVE IT DELIVERED TO GA.....BUT IF YOU PICK ONE UP IN VA....YOU PAY AN EXTRA 700....WTF??? READ THAT SHIT AGAIN!

·
Registered
10,371 Posts
for that money it not bad , yes it s not the best one out there
but when it costs you 2000.00$ for a open trailer , why not go for this one

·
The Bullet Killer
36,720 Posts
NO IT SAID....YOU CAN PICK ONE UP IN VIRGINIA ALSO....BUT YOU HAVE TO ADD 700......WHICH SEEMS PHUCKED UP...SINCE HE PAID 700 TO HAVE IT DELIVERED TO GA.....BUT IF YOU PICK ONE UP IN VA....YOU PAY AN EXTRA 700....WTF??? READ THAT SHIT AGAIN!

My point is, that its either 4700 dollars and a 15 hour ride (plus boarder crossing or 4,000 dollars and a 30 hour ride (plus boarder crossing)

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
80,113 Posts
I ALSO THINK FOR 4000....YOU CAN FIND SOMETHING A LITTLE BIGGER....THAT'S NOT AS NEW

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Extra side door (opposing) are always nice, wish we had one.

low pro tires, so the header tubes don't drag unloading or loading.

Get a adjustable height hitch, which helps the above somewhat if you have a low pro car. That way you are not ramping the truck, to get the angle right when unloading and loading.

Hd axles and tires,,if needed.

load lights/backup lights on the back are a nice deal if you can get them,,or add them later.

That's a bare bone trailer, but it possibly will get the job done,,you will spend money in addtions to it of course,,for customizing. It can be done cheaply, but it is alot of dicking around.

Shop around and spend the money once for what you want.

FWIW.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
The axel rateing is the biggest thing,that tlr will be maxed out with just a car in it with nothing else.

I know,it says 3500lb axels so it should be fine at 7000 gross but it just does not work that way. If you run it at max weight for the axels things will go bad in a hurry... The tires prob are not the best either and it's a pain replacing tires because they are to weak..

·
WHAT?
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
for that money it not bad , yes it s not the best one out there
but when it costs you 2000.00$ for a open trailer , why not go for this one

Is it cause we're from the same place that this is what got me thinking about these??!!

I was looking at an aluminum open deck at 3500$ then remembered those at 4k! The usage would be mostly to go to the track (30 min ride) or the other (1 hour) every now and then (10 times a year?) and carry the car (69 Camaro BB) and basic tooling.

I'm just asking, cause i like open trailers, to me they are easier to deal with, even to tie the cars down, you get more space to work around, but it is ''Looking'' better with a nice color matched tag hooked up to your hauler no? And there are also many advantages to being enclosed, security for one.

Haaaaa! What to do.... Thing is, i would not mind a used one, but the deals are all on the other side of the border to me, if i we're to buy here, everuone hangs onto theirs like its gold, so you pay accordingly, then, if i want to go used on the US side, i'm going to travel all those miles to see the trailers that people advertise as 'Like new' and comee back empty and frustrated....Or go with a new one(ad) and come home happy!!!.... Thing is, 10k is out of range for a trailer that will stay parked most of the time. So 4k makes it sound REAL good.

Would i live ok then with the projected usage? Even with 3500 pounds axles? Can they be upgraded? Since it looks like this is the biggest down side...

The interior is the fun part to me, you get to create your own on the road shop!

Lead.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
I would also update the axles to 5k each. I noticed they had them also....

Generator door
Spare tire door
Lights
Tool Boxes
Cabinets
Electric plugs
Being able to stand on roof
Better tires
Better axles

It all adds up.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
The axel rateing is the biggest thing,that tlr will be maxed out with just a car in it with nothing else.
That also. If DOT decides to run you down, take your drivers license, and force you to go to the state scales because your tires are squatted, you will flip when you get the infraction ticket.

Base fine is around $450 (WA state), then so much per pound for the overloading of tires or axles,,or tongue weight.

Very,very rare with personal trailers, but it does happen, And it is very uncomfortable when it does. You have to fix the problem on the spot before you can leave.

They really look hard at the 3 axle folks,,big money for them (DOT).

A buddy overloaded his 3 axle horse trailer, got busted, and wrote a check for $2500 to the state.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Trailers never lose there value. My first trailer was a Haulmark 24FT plain jane enclosed like the one above. I paid $5300 in 93 and sold it in 05 for 5K. Here`s what i learned from using a 24 footer all these years. Buy something big that you know you`ll grow into. I now have a 32 FT Classic. All the room i need with a foot of extra height. Makes a big difference.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
That also. If DOT decides to run you down, take your drivers license, and force you to go to the state scales because your tires are squatted, you will flip when you get the infraction ticket.

Base fine is around $450 (WA state), then so much per pound for the overloading of tires or axles,,or tongue weight.

Very,very rare with personal trailers, but it does happen, And it is very uncomfortable when it does. You have to fix the problem on the spot before you can leave.

They really look hard at the 3 axle folks,,big money for them (DOT).

A buddy overloaded his 3 axle horse trailer, got busted, and wrote a check for $2500 to the state.

Same thing happened to a friend of mine for being 3500LBS over the limit. He ended up paying a $100 for ever 100LBS over the limit.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts

The trailer company is probably shipping to GA and VA so you have to pay for shipping at two locations.

·
Registered
185 Posts
this factory is about 30 miles from my house and like everyone is saying these are just plain trailers i bought a trailer a couple of years ago loaded with ac, lights, generator, tool box, flooring , finished out walls, for 5000.00 i used it 2 seasons and turned around and made money on it, like everybody is saying just look around people get desperate i found that one on ebay and made an offer 2 weeks after the auction the guy called back, and i also have an open trailer and the enclosed is the way to go is makes going to the track much easier it is money well spent

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Look up Carl Cooper in Vidalia,Ga. His number is 912-537-2384. He can set it up to where you can take delivery on the trailer at the plant in Fitzgerald,Ga. Buy a thrifty with the extra length tongue. I would ask about getting the 5200 lb. axles for sure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts