Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a short stroke big bore combination. The 3.76 sonny bryant crank I already have and I own the 6.535 crower billet rods. Canfield 350 heads with jesel shaft rockers I already own. Super vic manifold and 1050 carb done by the carb shop. There isn't an off the shelf piston that will work according to every piston maker I have called? Anyone have any input? Bullet is making a cam for it and I have. 904 Morrell solid rollers for it.Racetech quoted me 900 dollars for the pistons but they are 14 to 16 weeks out

·
Registered
450 Posts
Racetech is great, I use them all the time. Randy always helps me out there. Custom is going to be it and just wait for that combo. If you find a rod piston combo that would work, that is available, I may buy your Crower rods.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
IMO 4 weeks is the shortest lead time that you will find from any piston manufacture. You can't even get things expedited right now...

Nick

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IMO 4 weeks is the shortest lead time that you will find from any piston manufacture. You can't even get things expedited right now...

Nick
What do you think of this combination? I know it's not a perfect combination but I own everything but the pistons. I think the thought of the Bryant crank and crower billet rods has me wanting to go this way. Should be bullet proof and spin well. It's going in a vdrive boat.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
You have a decent combination... The CH is on the taller side of things, but in saying that. There isn't any significant downside to that besides a bit of weight. Here are my calculations...

Bore: 4.600
Stroke: 3.760
C.I.: 499.90
Rod Length: 6.535
Rod Ratio: 1.738
CH: 1.357
Gasket Thickness: .040
Total Quench: .050
Estimated Parts Drop: .002
Block Height: 9.780

I have the quench pretty tight and I wouldn't go over .055 and my "parts drop" is a calculation I use to more accurately figure out what the exact quench area will be. If you have a desired gasket or total quench number, let me know and I'll re-figure the CH.

Nick

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You have a decent combination... The CH is on the taller side of things, but in saying that. There isn't any significant downside to that besides a bit of weight. Here are my calculations...

I have the quench pretty tight and I wouldn't go over .055 and my "parts drop" is a calculation I use to more accurately figure out what the exact quench area will be. If you have a desired gasket or total quench number, let me know and I'll re-figure the CH.

Nick
I just put the crank in the truck and it's 3.75. I appreciate all your help as well. Taking the crank to marine crankshaft now.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts

Nick
lol...or that^.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I am better off trying to find a different crank but it's hard when I have a great crank right in front of me. Not spending 1500 on a new crank is appealing to me.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
I think I am better off trying to find a different crank but it's hard when I have a great crank right in front of me. Not spending 1500 on a new crank is appealing to me.
If you're going to spin any kind of rpm, your limit (@ 500ci) is going to be the heads and intake. I was thinking a little more outside the box with the short stroke/short deck combination and a LOT of rpm but your induction won't support it. I would target your build around making peak power somewhere in the low to middle 7k rpm range. I agree with Nick. ^
805 350 1159

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you're going to spin any kind of rpm, your limit (@ 500ci) is going to be the heads and intake. I was thinking a little more outside the box with the short stroke/short deck combination and a LOT of rpm but your induction won't support it. I would target your build around making peak power somewhere in the low to middle 7k rpm range. I agree with Nick. ^
805 350 1159
The heads and intake are ported but I agree with you. It's not a max effort deal the cam bullet is making is for the 7300 range. Should be a fun little big block.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
The heads and intake are ported but I agree with you. It's not a max effort deal the cam bullet is making is for the 7300 range. Should be a fun little big block.
If you change stroke and maintain the same rpm range for power...the cam MUST change.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Chris I pmed you and didn't hear back! Bullet is making this cam for this build. I gave them all my specs and told them where I wanted it to live.
If you change the stroke from 3.75 to something larger in stroke you change the demand of the combination. The cam will need to change.. If your changing stroke you need to call Bullet and put it on hold.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Diamond is not a 4 week lead time on customs. They quoted me 6-8 weeks.

I'm getting sick of piston lead times. I've had pistons on order since April. Along with lifters, heads, rods, you name it.

I don't know what's going on, but it's a joke if they want the motorsports industry to continue.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts