Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kinda power are u guys making with your 496 stock block motor.will a 14.5 compression and 400 shot of spray will it live and is it possible to make it 5.30 in the eighth in 2800 mustang body.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I ran last yr a 525 ci motor with a stock tall deck that made 1050 or so on a 300 shot of nitrous. I ran into problems with the oiling system at that power level. What happened was it would chew the distributor gear up because the the oil galley's are to small to to keep the pump working so hard that it hurt the gear. I was also worreid about braking the main webbing .
To fix it. bought a Dart big M block.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ive got a stock block 505 that makes 830 at the wheels on a 150 shot...13.2 to 1. 2950lb coupe went a 5.57 @ 123...Put 250 on it and went 5.40 driving through the convertor..

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
with the right block and prep work you can make 1300 hp with the factory block,some here are in the 1800hp range but its blown,not nitrous

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I ran last yr a 525 ci motor with a stock tall deck that made 1050 or so on a 300 shot of nitrous. I ran into problems with the oiling system at that power level. What happened was it would chew the distributor gear up because the the oil galley's are to small to to keep the pump working so hard that it hurt the gear. I was also worreid about braking the main webbing .
To fix it. bought a Dart big M block.

honestly your problems were probably cam walk issues,people have ran oil gally restrictors for many years with no problem and restrictors are only .090 and showed no signs of wear .did you have the oil pump bypass blocked?i never run a h.v. pump its not needed.also i dont block the bypass

·
Registered
22,179 Posts
A Dart Big M block you say...

I would make a 588"er using a stock 454" block height that would have a 4.65" b x 4.375" s using something like a custom 6.45" long rod and needed custom piston compression height.

pdq67

·
Registered
240 Posts
A buddy of mine went 5.40s with a 505 on about 350hp and on 600hp it when 5.30s driving thru the converter.

·
RED ROCKET
8,633 Posts
what kinda power are u guys making with your 496 stock block motor.will a 14.5 compression and 400 shot of spray will it live and is it possible to make it 5.30 in the eighth in 2800 mustang body.

yes it is possible..2800 race ready is light.

·
Registered
517 Posts
honestly your problems were probably cam walk issues,people have ran oil gally restrictors for many years with no problem and restrictors are only .090 and showed no signs of wear .did you have the oil pump bypass blocked?i never run a h.v. pump its not needed.also i dont block the bypass
I was using a Reher Morison oiling system (pan, pump, pick up)
The restrictors are drilled out to .120 per Reher Morison. the by pass was not blocked off. It was not cam walk.........

At a lower nitrous setting it had no problems but when I pilled it up is when it had problems.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
wasnt an oil galley that was to small,hell bearing clearance is your biggest restriction not the oil galleys. most times a cam/distributer gear has problems it beacause of improper engine building=cam walk, or distributor gear not properly meshed with cam gear as in hieght off .if you had the bypass open and werent running really heavy oil then what else would have killed the gear? there are hundreds of thousands off bbc out there with factory block making killer power and not having any problems

·
Registered
472 Posts
Rob, what are you up to?:yawinkle:

·
Registered
735 Posts
Made well over 1400 hp on a stock block 496. Mine was blown but it will handle 1300 all day!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
stock deck 454 block 2 bolt but studmain studs afr 325 heads super vic and a cam with 780 lift.wanted to c what u guys thought .going to partaial fill block .

·
Registered
517 Posts
wasnt an oil galley that was to small,hell bearing clearance is your biggest restriction not the oil galleys. most times a cam/distributer gear has problems it beacause of improper engine building=cam walk, or distributor gear not properly meshed with cam gear as in hieght off .if you had the bypass open and werent running really heavy oil then what else would have killed the gear? there are hundreds of thousands off bbc out there with factory block making killer power and not having any problems
According to David Reher, in the old day's when they had to use blocks like the one I have they use to bore the gally's out to fix the oiling problem these block have. He said at a point, a high HP level in these factory blocks will cause oiling problems because the oiling system is inadequate. He also said that some blocks are batter than others.

take it for what it's worth, I had them check everything ouy and that seems to be th problem.

Fixed it by buying a Dart block.........

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Put a SBF 14.5:1 comp and 400 shot at 2800 and it will run 5.30s easily!:p Dont make that mustang a bastard child or it wont treat you right.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I run a 511 4.25x4.375 bore 2 bolt. 15.5comp filled block 2700lbs [email protected] 150 on gas goning alky inj. 3yrs so far works for me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts