Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A kid building a bbc for nitrous. As you can guess he is scraping money doing it.

My question, is a 496 BBC a good platform for a nitrous motor if it's built completely forged internals? He has a 400 hp system and of course he wants to utilize all of that. Lol

Nothing has been bought yet. I was just curious to what you guys would recommend to a kid that loves this stuff and trying to get the most bang for the buck.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
A 496 will make some good power depending on parts. I ran one years ago in my nova and went some 8.70s @ 3600 #s. I have seen them a lot faster also.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which stock block be sufficient?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The '289 and '512 castings usually sonic test the best.
Ok, . That's info I was needing to know. He is looking around for a block now I think.

What brand kit would be a good recommendation for a kid?

·
Registered
728 Posts
If his budget permits, I'd run a Compstar kit. Otherwise, I'd run no less than an Eagle kit with a center counterweight, non-crossdrilled 4340 and 6.385 H-beams with the ARP 2000 bolt upgrade. You can also upgrade the rings for little cost. And don't waste your time trying to find a 4-bolt because you won't. A 2 bolt with ARP studs will take a lot of abuse.

·
Senor Frog
8,949 Posts
If his budget permits, I'd run a Compstar kit. Otherwise, I'd run no less than an Eagle kit with a center counterweight, non-crossdrilled 4340 and 6.385 H-beams with the ARP 2000 bolt upgrade. You can also upgrade the rings for little cost. And don't waste your time trying to find a 4-bolt because you won't. A 2 bolt with ARP studs will take a lot of abuse.
u can find 4 bolts but its def harder,2 bolt deal and nitrous would worry me
but I know some guys have run em

Our last 496 before we blew it up ran bottom 5s at 3000 lbs w dart 355s and a 36 jet.. :)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just bookmarked this thread. Thanks for the specific info.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
u can find 4 bolts but its def harder,2 bolt deal and nitrous would worry me
but I know some guys have run em

Our last 496 before we blew it up ran bottom 5s at 3000 lbs w dart 355s and a 36 jet.. :)
I got your PM. It's no telling how long that thing would sit before he used it. So It might not be a good idea to put the cart before the horse at this point.

He hasn't even used the nitrous on the unknown sbc we put in the car to get him started. hoping to do that in the next week or so.

The kid is hooked tho, His first pass he spun, bogged off the line, then bogged when he hit second gear and still somehow beat the car in the next lane. It was a 7:93 pass but you would have thought it was a 4 sec pass by the way he was a yapping 90mph when his helmet came off back at the trailer. Lol

·
I kill parts
10,313 Posts
I beat all-heck out of a 2-bolt main 496 for quite some time; flat wore it out. Was an Ohio 4340 crank, old BME alum rods & just SRP pistons. 120 pill in a diffuser plate, all-in off the trans-brake.

We had 1/2" tool steel across the main caps(old-school girdle); still using that block with a fresh bore in another combo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts