Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Turbo 481X
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at all these hemis for sale and about every one has thrown the rods? why is that so common with the hemi compared to my 481x that has only broken valves? we want to change but we dont want to be throwing the rods every weekend with it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The Hemi,s probably out number a 481x by more than 20 to 1. If you keep on top of the maintenance the hemi is every bit as good if not better. Look at the numbers , easy one to figure out.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
looking at all these hemis for sale and about every one has thrown the rods? why is that so common with the hemi compared to my 481x that has only broken valves? we want to change but we dont want to be throwing the rods every weekend with it.
It's because no one gets rid of their good engines, just the ones they have tore up. He mi technology doesn't change a bunch

·
Registered
238 Posts
There are tons of Hemi's out there that were old Top Fuel motor and still going in alcohol cars so spares are easier to find for now and as far as maintenance our Hemi is an old fuel motor so its not the latest greatest but its been less maintenance than my old chevy, We check valves every couple of passes and check bearings every couple of races (only replaced 2 thrust bearings and 3 rod bearings this year). Finally pulled her out for rods and rings after 70 passes (should have done it sooner 70 passes on rods gets scary)

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Depends how fast and how hard you want to run......................a 9000 rpm hemi will be fast at local tracks and get lots of laps on parts. Or you can go faster @ 10500 and change rods every 15 runs and alot of valve train stuff as well

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Depends how fast and how hard you want to run......................a 9000 rpm hemi will be fast at local tracks and get lots of laps on parts. Or you can go faster @ 10500 and change rods every 15 runs and alot of valve train stuff as well
x2
The 481x is generally done by 9000rpm and can produce a lot at lower rpm.
The modern hemis like to run above 9000 so there is a lot better chance of wreckage.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts

·
11,821 Posts
We work with both 481x & Hemi with Twin Turbo power. The both hold up pretty really well. I will say since we turn Hemi higher RPM's ( 9600 vs 9000 ) we have keep a closer eye on Hemi Valvevtrain & bearings. Both pieces are Awesome.

·
Godspeed TK!
8,989 Posts
My buddy has a HEMI for sale complete - minus intake

PM me if interested...

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I know this is about Maintenance of these two motors. I just said in another post, the 5.53 post that the 481X is an underestimated motor and comes in 2nd or 3rd place in verbal discussions. #Just went 262.79 mph. Come on man.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I know this is about Maintenance of these two motors. I just said in another post, the 5.53 post that the 481X is an underestimated motor and comes in 2nd or 3rd place in verbal discussions. #Just went 262.79 mph. Come on man.
Bubba Stanton and Mike Recchia pushed the 481x as far as it could go with a blower. They both made huge gains switching to hemi. Everybody agrees the x is faster to 9000 rpm but after that the hemi takes off.

High rpm manageable horsepower usually dominates a lower rpm setup but fuel cars do the most at low rpm so I guess anything is possible.

·
Registered
15,357 Posts
I would say its all about bob weight and the ability of the combo to turn enough rpm with power for it to be a problem.

The Hemi has plenty of both so you have to cycle rods constantly and even then that's only so effective at those loads. I would think with a turbo at the same rpm and power the rods are under less stress, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
400 Posts
For a similar hp setup (blown) what could be the weight comparaison between those 2 engines ?

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
I changed from AJPE all Billet sbc to 481X only picked up 70lbs

1 - 19 of 19 Posts