Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I take the od unit off my 46rh and change the tail shaft and housing with the gears I want and make it a 727? I guess what i need to know, is the case the same between these two transmissions? Thank you in advance

·
Super Moderator
19,583 Posts
Unfortunately it is not that easy. There are some similarities between the old 727 and the newer OD transmissions but the case is completely different. Some internals will retro fit back.

Hutch

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a feeling you would say that, but it does sounds possible.... im starting to build a 92 dakota for bracket racing and it's 4000 lbs. trying to shed weight everywhere I can.. what all would have to be changed, or would it be more cost effective to just go with the 727? Last question, 727 or 904 in your opinion? I appreciate your time Hutch

·
Super Moderator
19,583 Posts
I would just start over with a 727 and sell off the overdrive trans. You can work with the overdrive and there are parts available to make it into a semi normal trans but the cost gets crazy and im sure you can still find a good core somewhere. How much power will you be making?

Hutch

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By the begining of next season around 450. its the original magnum 318 that came in the truck. pulling it out and going through it this winter and putting some money in the top half. not sure what to go with, heads, intake, headers, cam but would also like to keep it injected. i dont know much about the mopar performance computer and if it can handle all the mods.. i appreciate your time

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would like to eventually, but dont feel I'd have enough power for a trans brake right now. Some of these guys have 7-800 hp and up running 4.60's lol... I also keep hearing different opinions on converters, anywhere from 3000-4300. Im not positive, but I think my 46rh is a lockup.... so which if it is, that wouldn't matter, right??

·
Super Moderator
19,583 Posts
If it is going to be race only , go 727 , I was thinking maybe you could get by with the trans you have now by just buying a converter and running it as-is. That may not be the best choice but not the worst. Whatever your budget will allow.

Hutch

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If i did keep this trans, it would allow me more money for the engine. What stall converter would you recommend, and do you sell converters for this trans?

·
Super Moderator
19,583 Posts
No I don't get into converters for those transmissions but there are many companies that do. Maybe start with a 3000-3500 and see how you do then step up in the future with a trans and converter.

Hutch

1 - 12 of 12 Posts