Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy just wondering if any of u have ever sprayed a 455 olds motor and if so how much and what do u think it can hanfle. This is in a 84 gbody cutlass. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
better call Trovato first for the motor end of it -- not done right you'll spit it out about the 60'................I sprayed 350 to mine in Memphis in '96 -- made to the 1000' before it kicked two rods and blew the hood off.

·
Registered
404 Posts
We had a 482 olds with eagle rods that we consistently shot 350 to for about 4 years and never had a issue with.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Solid lifter cam with restricters screwed in lifter galley. 7 quart baffled oil pan and modified oil pump for higher pressure 4.250 bore 4.250 stroke. I'd shift at 6300 and come thru the traps at 7000

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
To spray an Olds very much and expect it to live you need to do some work to it. I've been building them for 30yrs and know them as well as anyone. Aftermarket rods are a must. It's best to rework the forged 425 crank for more stroke or go with a billet crank. Then you need to beef up the bottom end. Preferably with a 4 bolt conversion or a bed plate. If you stay with 2 bolt main caps it'll come apart ripping the #4 main out first and progressing from there. Upgrading to 1/2" head studs is a good idea also.
Here are pics of a bed plate that I make for the Olds:

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Here are pics of the 4 bolt conversion I make. No one has ever pushed a set of these caps out the bottom yet.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow guys thanks for all the info. I just got the motor so i need to go through and see ehat all it has in it. Guy has no idea what it had in the bottom end so itll be a surprise when i open in it. The most i was thinkin id spray it was with a 150 or so with the plate just to add some fun. Thanks again guys

1 - 12 of 12 Posts