Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost don't want to post these silly questions after reading several of the threads in this forum. I have said '81 C20 with the original 292 I6 and a 3-speed. I decided earlier this year that instead of rebuilding the 500k 292, I would take it up a notch and go with a big block. I will use the truck for weekend cruising (scrub miles off of my daily driver Ranger) and for the snowy weather. I will probably only lift it 6" max with 37" tires. Don't plan to spin the 454 much; probably 6500rpm max. So, on with the questions.

I just replaced the heater core a month ago. When the big block goes in there, should I put restrictors in the heater hoses?

Also, I am looking at carburetors for the 454. It's been a while since I messed with one. Carb formula is pointing to a 750cfm unit. I don't plan on doing any mudding with the truck, so would a Holley DP work with what I intend to use this truck for?

I can give more specifics on the build. I know what parts I want to get; however, what I can actually afford and purchase in the end may be different. Thanks for reading this :)

Chickenbone

·
WHAT?
2,041 Posts
Yeah.... Not really the meat and potatoe of the Bullet, you got at least that straight!!

For your combo, and starting off your intentions for the truck, id get a boneyard 454 and give it a good refresh or even better do as i did recently, i just picked up a nice one, running and all with its Th400 attached and in the truck, so i even tried it and saw the 62k miles on it was legit and add a little torquey cam, an intake and some headers and go have fun dressing it up and making it clean. You dont intend on making this a monster (now anyway!) so just go easy on the money by doing it that way. If you need more later down the road, youll have a good core or you can prepare a more hard core BB and transplant when your ready, everything will already be set for it.

I pid 1200$ for mine COMPLETE. Thats with all accessories and trans and its in tip top shape and i see deal like that (altough mileage and clealiness were a notch above on this one but if you look around youll get one, RV's are usually low miles and very well maintained sources of BB)

Good luck and just have fun with this little project... They dont need to all be 100k race cars... (Altough it would be cool!!)

Later,

Lead.

Oh, and welcome aboard.... And i didnt check, but make sure you introduce your ass in the section if you didnt... Or youll get shred apart on here. Fair warning. :cool:

·
draggin' ass
13,418 Posts
I dont think you read enough to realize you should of hit the newbie thread first before posting anything else. Sounds like your wanting a stock 454 build with a cam and a 4 barrel to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the Newbie thread. When I joined I was looking for a Newbie forum like most sites usually have. Just posted there.

I already upgraded the fuel and exhaust system on that truck. The original fuel pump had a cracked diaphragm, so I replaced it with a Holley red electric pump (from the Malibu) and replaced the fuel lines as well. Exhaust fell off several years ago, so I got headers, had a shop bend a Y-pipe, and then I put up a simple 3" single exhaust. A year ago I found a front axle off of an '85 Silverado at the junkyard. I plan to convert to 4WD if I don't find a decent truck. Installed an Auburn locker in the 9.5 rear last year. Truck came stock with 4.10s; I'll see if that's enough for the 454. I am going to work on the body while I have the 454 in there in its stock form.

So yeah, I have a tendency to try and keep things simple. Then shortly after making that decision, I make changes. For now it will be a stock 454 with an exhaust upgrade. I know at some point, I want to put a solid roller cam, Brodix heads (312cc intake runners), all the associated hi-po parts that go with such an engine, and a NV4500 trans. I hate automatics unless I go drag racing, so the 3-speed is going to stay for a minute. That's the plan.

Chickenbone

1 - 6 of 6 Posts