Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Cars are many many times more safe today! do you want to get in a 80's vw on the interstate in todays world?
^This. Back in the 80s cars were lighter because there were barely any safety features compared with today, so you’re adding tons of weight to a small car, which kills the mileage. You can still pull mid-30s in some small-mid sized cars, but there aren’t a lot around, and when you’re out on the road surrounded by trucks and suvs many people think “I’m getting a truck or suv, if one of these things hits me, I’m fucked”.

·
I.Y.H.R.F.24.7.365
8,820 Posts
^This. Back in the 80s cars were lighter because there were barely any safety features compared with today, so you’re adding tons of weight to a small car, which kills the mileage. You can still pull mid-30s in some small-mid sized cars, but there aren’t a lot around, and when you’re out on the road surrounded by trucks and suvs many people think “I’m getting a truck or suv, if one of these things hits me, I’m fucked”.
That is great and all.
but , look at the story on here of the door bell prank gone bad. and 3 dead, from hitting a tree.
They are not any safer. you just feel safer.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
You can't see jack shit on the road either if you're in a car. Surrounded by trucks and suvs... I had to drive a 4runner the other day and I was shocked at being able to see again.

·
I.Y.H.R.F.24.7.365
8,820 Posts
You can't see jack shit on the road either if you're in a car. Surrounded by trucks and suvs... I had to drive a 4runner the other day and I was shocked at being able to see again.
Try driving a Fiero. A toyota camery trunk is level with the fieros roof.
todays pickup's don't even see you beside them.
I miss that car, but not almost getting monster trucked every time I was in traffic.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
That is great and all.
but , look at the story on here of the door bell prank gone bad. and 3 dead, from hitting a tree.
They are not any safer. you just feel safer.
The safety aspect is not the point, the point is that cars are mandated to have addtl safety features, which add significant weight.
But I’ll tell you I was very happy to hear my wife was fine after hitting a pole and rolling her car last month, she didn’t even have a scratch although her 18 Grand Cherokee was a total loss.
I didn’t read the Prius story, but the car looked pretty old, could have easily had safety features not working, or not equipped. Passengers may not have been buckled in, etc.....
FYI there are still some cars available today that get mid-30s for fuel economy, which is damn good

41 - 45 of 45 Posts