Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for a pistol to go with my 1892 45 colt winchester and saw a ruger blackhawk. anyone have some input?

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
looking for a pistol to go with my 1892 45 colt winchester and saw a ruger blackhawk. anyone have some input?
I own five 45LC Blackhawks. One is an early one and two are convertables. Look for a convertable as it's also a great 45ACP shooter as well. I like the 4 5/8" barrel best. Best loads use AA#9 powder under a cast lead 255 gr, SWC (Lyman mold) at about 950fps. I have a six inch one that will put the same bullet at about 1100fps, but I like the slower round better. Recoil is mild.
gary

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the one i'm looking at is a convertable also. they also have some pistols with birdhand grips- they don't look comfortable to shoot tho, what is the idea behind the birdhand grip?

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
the one i'm looking at is a convertable also. they also have some pistols with birdhand grips- they don't look comfortable to shoot tho, what is the idea behind the birdhand grip?
the real difference between the standard Blackhawk grip and the Vacarro is the angle of the grip in relation ship to the centerline of the barrel; plus a change in the hammer shape. Perpendicular style of grip (Vacarro) is supposed to better on recoil, but the sights are usually fixed like the old Colts were.
gary

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
hey snakeyes- how hard is it to convert the pistol to 45 acp?
takes about two minutes to change cylinders. You undo the latch that holds the pin the cylinder turns on. Then pull the pin out towards the muzzel of the barrel. When the cylinder is free, just let it drop in your hands. Then slip the new cylinder in it's place. Then push the pin back in place. Sometimes you have to rotate the cylinder a little bit to allow it to engage the linkage that rotates it.

It should ne noted here that you can't just put a 45 ACP cylinder in any 45LC Blackhawk! It must be one timed for that S/N frame. A convertable comes with two cylinders timed alike.
gary

·
Registered
695 Posts
The birdshead grip is a pattern of the old hideout pistol grip, often used out of a crossdraw or a shoulder holster, it is shaped different than the standard plowhandle grip of most single action pistols. The Bisley grip is the oldstyle target pistol grip, longer and curved a little differently than the plowhandle. The Old Model Vaqueros are the same strength as the Blackhawks, except with fixed sights. The New Model Vaqueros are downsized to closer to Colt 1873 size, but still stronger than the Colt's. For Cowboy Action Shooting, Rugers are very common, as they are tanks, built tough.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
I had one was a good shooting gun i loaded for it and could almost match the 44 mag

·
cynic/realist
15,961 Posts
Can't remember the name of the company, but they bought Colt's old plant and tooling. The are making great pistols. The pricing is attractive also, to have Colt stuff with another name on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts