Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd mention this and tip my hat to the Blue Oval Racers rocking the house in Indy this weekend.

Here is the news blurb I found on Competition Plus:

NEW TOYS FOR THE BIG BOYS - Two of the Detroit Big Three made their appearance at the NHRA U.S. Nationals sporting new engine combinations for the Factory Stock Showdown. They made lasting impressions on Thursday.

Ford introduced a new 429 Cobra Jet engine while Chevrolet unveiled a new 427 intended to run in the naturally aspirated Factory Showdown/B classification.

"We had some teams really thrashing to get our new 429 combo out," said Ford Racing director Jesse Kershaw. "It was just approved by the NHRA and this is the first NHRA U.S. Nationals that we've been able to showcase it at. There's a learning curve whenever there's a new engine."

Chevrolet introduced their 427 combination in hopes of catching up with the Mopar Drag Pak and Ford Cobra Jet packages which had pulled out ahead last season with clear advantages.

"We developed this combination specifically for the Factory Stock Showdown to compete against our competition who had a jump on us in competition last year," said Roger Allen Chevrolet Performance's NHRA Program Manager and COPO Engineering Manager. "We developed it with hardware that existed last year in the Chevrolet Performance catalog.

"The short block is our standard 427 engine and it has the LSX-DR and an intake developed specifically for this. It's a tunnel ram intake sold by CFE Racing. It also has a single Accu-Fab throttle body located in the middle of the tunnel ram. That's a significant improvement over our base production head LS7 427 combination."

Kershaw is excited to have a new weapon for the brand, adding to the parity between the manufacturers.

"We are excited because we feel we have something to run alongside of that 426 Hemi," said Kershaw. "Chevy's got a nice 427 too. It's really nice to have our 429 out there against the 427 and the Hemi 426."

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Based on what engine?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Based on what engine?
Not sure. I'm guessing a Windsor block with canted valve heads. That would emulate what the 429 CJ was back in the day. It was really an overgrown Windsor block with Cleveland style heads. That's why the BBF's are so good.

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Block, pistons, rods, pan? Ya I see it...:)
Oiling system and crank design. Not to mention block and pan shape and profile. They (Chevrolet) were shooting for the " sweet spot" that the Flathead Ford stood alone in for so long.

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Flat head =3 main bearing boat anchor, show me a SBC with the exhaust ports on the side of the block, you should lay off of what ever you are taking it is making you crazy :p
I don't have the time or energy to "school" you right now. Rest assured I'm right. I'm sorry if that doesn't fit your world view.

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
I don't have the time or energy to "school" you right now. Rest assured I'm right. I'm sorry if that doesn't fit your world view.
You are about as right as obama, HENRY SHOULD STAY ON THE FLOOR. THE SBC has as much in common with the fat head, as a elephant and a chicken do, stay off the drugs old timer. I know you mean well but you are just plain full of shit simply put :p

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Guy here in town that is real big into Ford class racing helped design the motor. He picked up his car at Indy this weekend.

·
120 seconds of glory
4,116 Posts
Windsor base with yates head what I heard.

^^ true.

Let's see...

Naturally asperated--
HD aftermarket block--
CNC ported aftermarket high flow heads--
Big ass .650" lift solid roller cam--
Mega high compression--
Monster size Throttle body--
EFI (of course)--

Did I miss anything ?

Sure sounds like "Stock" to me :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Shouldn't that car be in Comp Eliminator because there is not one single "Stock" item on that engine...

Here's the spec sheet on the 2014 CJ engines.
429 monster race engine rated at 455 h.p. LOL

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
By the looks of the engine specs it should run very well.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts