Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys this is my first post on this site. I have gotten some really good info from ya'll. Sat night at the track (US 60 Raceway, Hardinsburg KY.) We traded a carb we couldn't use (too big)for a 427 tall deck longblock. The guy got it cheap and runs big blocks in his 3 cars. So it is taking up space. I did some research on the motor , some good some bad. I know about the cam and special intake. This is a long term project. Is it worth it? we are currently running a 79 malibu wagon with a 383. runs best 7.45 @92 1/8 mile. Wagon weighs 3305 with driver. Thanks Steve

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
What exactly are your end plans for the engine????

The tall decks have some draw backs.

I assume that your wagon still has the stock front suspension/ chassis???? If so you are going to have a header fitment issue. You can work your way around it but there is a problem there...

You are limited on intakes for the tall deck, or you can use spacers and a standard big block intake... You will need a distributor with a slip collar....

Me personally i would rather use a standard deck block... I like to use the lightest bob weight assemblys i can.

At the level your at the tall deck will work fine but all things considered the standard deck would be a beetter deal IMO...

Keith

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Look on the back of the block behind the distributor area, if you see MARINE cast in there it will might have real thick cylinder walls. Nothing wrong with those blocks, not as nice as a Dart Big M but they'll work. I bored mine .100 over and put a 4.25 crank in it - lots of grinding to clear but it fit. I think a 4.375 stroke would be about it for one of those blocks.

·
Premium Member
2,457 Posts
Okay I assume you mean a tall deck small block? if so your right you need a special cam and timing chain and oil pump drive(longer) and oil pan (wider) and external oil filter lines and filter mount and either intake spacers or the proper intake and you need push rods sometimes you get lucky and old pushrods fit but not with this block, is it a iron eagle or a rocket block? and if you plan on running a big motor 427 or bigger and makin some real power it's the only way to fly

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zeke 1 it is a 427 big block from a truck. hey guys thanks for the reply. Team G and Dart have intakes for it and they are machined for a standard dist. We pick up the motor tonight, so i'll check for the marine cast. It came out of a truck but I'll check for it. Beyond I would like to know what your set up is and how it runs (times) The wagon is stock susp, and race only. thanks

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Last year I had all sorts of problems burning up transmissions, chassis setups etc. so I never did get it lined out to what I thought it would run. I did get it to run a [email protected] on a small shot @3500lbs spinning. I think that would have been low 9's with that mph. I fought gremlins the rest of the year mostly transmission and never got it ironed out. I'm shooting for mid-8's this year with the same basic rotating assembly but everything else that was giving me problems have been fixed. Ask me again in a few more weeks, should have a much better idea what it's capable of :-D

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we got the motor last night . Checked the numbers, 427T marine, and did some checking internally. found out it was bored 40 over, and a 4.00 stroke. Nice suprise. haven't pulled the cam but it is after market. Beyond what is your set up? Again thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Mines bored .100 over, using JE 454 Piston heights with 6.535 Lunati Rods, 4.25 stroke Callis Dragonslayer Crank. It has a short fill to the bottom of the water pump holes. Pro-Filer 24 degree heads ported by Mike Stark at CFM, ported 454TD Eddy intake, 8896 Dominator by Patrick James, comp belt drive, various camshafts, etc. Not sure if mine can keep up with the 540's & 598's in our class but the heads do move some air so we'll see.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man that is a mouth full. this is our first big block so we are going to take it easy on the build. right now mild cam and single plan intake. We dug deeper and found the number for the crank. it is the stock 427 crank. Forged steel with 4 bolts should be pretty bullet proof.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Here is an easy build I have in my 67 Camaro Convertible. I too used Tall Deck, a Gen V Tall Deck. It was a stock bore. I used L-88 Pistons, .400"+ H Beam Eagle Rods to make up for the .400"+ taller deck. Had the stock forged crank and inards internally balanced. Put a L-88 intake on it with spacers. Found an Accell Collar adjustable distributor and put in a Petronix module. Used Chevy Performance Rectangle Port Aluninum Heads with big Valves. Changed the Valve springs to Comp Cam Bee Hives with Ti Retainers. Headers on pass side will fit, but drivers side will need attention. Nothing a Hotrodder can't do. Cam is mild, a Solid Com Cam 244/250 @ .050 with .575/ .600 lift at the valve. Car weighs 3500# and has a 350 Turbo with 3.73 gears. It will prowl the streets, but needs a min 101 Octane fuel to do it with the 12.25 Compression. Will run in the mid 7's on an 1/8 mile. It looks good in the engine bay with only the spacer plates and no fuel pump provision giving it away. Not wanting to fool anybody, just wanted to build a L-88 clone with what I had to do with. Good luck on your BB build up. When you get it done, you will proud of it. Pulls like a bear with and can run down the track with some of the best. It really loves the Rice Burners, if you can find one with balls to run. Ran it last Sunday and got to the final round and lost. Can't win them all. Still a good engine combo that is fairly cheap and way cheaper than the mulit inch BBC that are out of my reach. Have fun, you can do it!

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Mooreboys, That set up sounds good. That is the way we want to go. CHEAP!! HA. I know performance ain't cheap. Right now we are running a 78 malibu wagon #3305 with driver, 383 Stroker, 35 stall, th350, 4.45 gears and a 28 inch tire running 7.50's in the 1/8th. This big block was a project that we kind of fell into. This year we want to run pretty much as is, then if we like it build it. The internet is really great for getting info and ideas. I have learned a lot from guys like you and the rest that I didn't know. I did the same for the 383 and it helped.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts