Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
All motor wannabe
5,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been doing some mindless research over the past week, been looking into the ford 427 sohc motors and how low of numbers were built. If it was me and I could get my hands on an ORIGINAL I would put some more compression in it with a piston swap and then put a fogger or 2 on it and run it. Would you guys run one or keep it for a history standpoint?

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Got a buddy that has one here in Ill. He's had it for years in a number of different cars. Pinto, Mustang II, 40 Ford coupe.

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
Mostly show cars, also break something and go to the bank, cuz your wallet aint gonna be enuff!

·
workin it
7,778 Posts
What use is having a racing engine if you don't race it? I say race it, but I wouldn't spray it...the phuck I wouldn't!! Spray it!!:p

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Sure would! A friend's building one & I had the opportunity to speak with Bill Coon, the guy spearheading the Cammer's rebirth, at PRI. He's managed to sort out some of the Cammer's problems and with today's technology there's no reason not to run one,except for the price.
I even know of someone planning to run one during DragWeek, so we'll see if it's as durable as some think.........

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
A few years ago, I would say you were nuts. only cam bearing option was NOS and extremely expensive. Now you can buy new blocks and such so parts are available. Still better options to make the power though.

·
Registered
16,502 Posts
Common sense says let the collectors buy them. For serious racing use something affordable.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Ford makes a Cammer right now in production vehicles. Their new 6.2 "Boss" engine that comes in the Raptor and Super Duty trucks. It is a very good modern rendition of the 427 SOHC. I think it could easily be the new "big block Chevy" replacement in that it has the lungs and the displacement and strength right from the factory, and it will be available in large numbers. Just give it time my friends ;-)

·
Long Live The King
104,059 Posts
and then put a fogger or 2 on it and run it. Would you guys run one or keep it for a history standpoint?

As a Ford guy I'd run the piss out of it N/A and never ever spray it.

G

·
Long Live The King
104,059 Posts
Ford makes a Cammer right now in production vehicles. Their new 6.2 "Boss" engine that comes in the Raptor and Super Duty trucks. It is a very good modern rendition of the 427 SOHC. I think it could easily be the new "big block Chevy" replacement in that it has the lungs and the displacement and strength right from the factory, and it will be available in large numbers. Just give it time my friends ;-)

:smt017

G-

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
I use to be a die hard Ford guy. Had a new 427 SOHC on an engine stand for a project I was doin. Project never got finished. Sure was pretty sitting on the engine stand :cool: Had a chance to double my $$$ on it so out the door it went.Damm that was a LONG time ago. I'd be curious how much of a beating a "new tech" SOHC could take.

·
Registered
696 Posts
You have 1 life to live. Go for it. In the next 100 years none of us are going to be around even ways. Enjoy it while you can.:)

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
An orignal I would save for resale,one built with the new parts I would run the piss out of it....

An orignal belongs in a restored race car.....

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Id run it hard. Mechanical injected....alky..... n/a... lots of compression.. in a straight axle falcon.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts