21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Shrewd Negotiator
9,868 Posts
What xfer case is in that truck? NP208?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Needing to spend $4K on a lightly beefed up 4L80e is absurd. You can pick them up from places like LKQ, other wrecking yards and even Ebay in late model takeouts with the transfer case output already on the trans. Then with just a simple upgrade is wanted you can do trannies like this easily for $2500 redone.

Still remember though the standard 4L80E out of a late model 2500-3500 pickup will easily handle 550lb/ft. of torque and the converters are usually set up for tow mode with a flip of a switch.

Don't make this build expensive and complicated, it's a Jeep towing rig not a 1/4 mile pounder! :rolleyes:

Use the KISS Theory! KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE PRIZE! ;)

·
Registered
14,440 Posts
You might want to checkout Blueprint engines, they have a wide variety of conventional SBC, BBC as well as LS stuff at very good prices.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've heard better things about Gearstar? Would you agree?

Also, anything wrong with this shortblock? Seems like topping with sub $2000 heads and sniper EFI I ought to have under $9000 into the engine. https://www.shop.whiteperformance.com/SBC-427-DART-ASSEMBLED-SHORT-BLOCK-4-BOLT-SPLAYED-WITH-4340-SBC427-ASSEMBLED-DRTBLOCK.htm?gclid=CjwKCAiAlvnfBRA1EiwAVOEgfIjFPa4TB8hmZea8RXHzCfM90zOogFXnklbH_M2AIPDQa1d8PPHtJxoCVzgQAvD_BwE
I would feel sorry if you bought one of those engines from these crooks. nothing but JUNK comes from them. They also stole money from me(granted it was only like $50), but still. customer service is also ass at best.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
What xfer case is in that truck? NP208?
Truck originally has a NP208. A 32 spline NP241 (plenty strong) comes behind the 4l80e in chevy trucks (88-98). So I would run a 4L80E with 241 out of a chevy. Those year 241's also put the front drive shaft on the correct side for me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Plans have changed slightly because of my financial situation. I have some questions, but didn't want to start a new thread.

I had a low mileage 12V 5.9 Cummins in my garage, NV4500 manual and tcase for this truck in my garage. I made a trade to a guy for the drivetrain out of his 2000 Chevy K3500. Vortec 454 (gen 6 L29), 4L80E and 241

On a budget, stock heads and rotating assembly I'm trying to make decent power. Cam and valve springs, intake and carb, and possibly headers. Could probably squeeze 450 hp/500 lb ft out of it I think.

What sort of performance could I expect out of the stock exhaust manifolds? They seem better than the previous truck manifolds, and what looks like 2.5" outlets. They would be used for cost and ease of packaging.

I have to worry about clearance for headers and no one makes long tubes for a 454 in a Jeep truck. Would shorty block huggers from sanderson be enough of an upgrade over manifolds to justify the cost? I'm going to compare vehicles and see if maybe I could make long tubes designed for the chevy truck work in my application without too much modification to the headers.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
That 454 with a good camshaft ( I have given you some good choices there) a nice RPM dual plane air gap intake and nice 750 Holley or nicely reworked Quadrajet will get you close to the 425hp/475Tq numbers you would like . Don't. Waste time or money on short headers over the factory cast manifolds. Just use a 2-1/2" tubing from the manifolds back with two nice stainless (quiet) mufflers and maybe an H-pipe.

Like many with projects like this the budget is tight so keep it simple and remember:
IT'S A TOW JEEP!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Awesome thanks!

Do you think this cam is too big? http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2184&gid=289

And the rest of my combo I planned to do exactly what you listed. I think for cost I'll stick to the manifolds, and because they'll be easier to get in the engine bay.

Also the trans out of the truck falls perfectly in line with your recommendation "Still remember though the standard 4L80E out of a late model 2500-3500 pickup will easily handle 550lb/ft. of torque and the converters are usually set up for tow mode with a flip of a switch."

·
Registered
59 Posts
Awesome thanks!

Do you think this cam is too big? http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2184&gid=289

And the rest of my combo I planned to do exactly what you listed. I think for cost I'll stick to the manifolds, and because they'll be easier to get in the engine bay.

Also the trans out of the truck falls perfectly in line with your recommendation "Still remember though the standard 4L80E out of a late model 2500-3500 pickup will easily handle 550lb/ft. of torque and the converters are usually set up for tow mode with a flip of a switch."
Figure out what heads, stroke, compression you're running then pick out the cam.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Those things were in a previous post. Stock L29 heads, stock bore and stroke 454, 9.5:1 compression.

I think it would run well and I would love it, should hit my power goals, but could be just a tad on the big side for a tow rig. 95% of the time it will be my daily driver though. I think for the towing I'll do, 5K - 7K pounds, it won't be TOO radical.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The Lunati cam is to much for your application and build. It will kill off quite a bit of low end 1500-2500 rpm torque which is what you need for your real application and the idle will be a little rough. If you are smart you will stay with a cam spec. like the two I previously gave you and save some money on the cam itself.

Look if you are trying to have a cool little run around town jeep that will get sideways as fast as forward when you nail it, this 454 will do that easy and a nice dual exhaust and muffler choice will give it all the cool sounds you need.

Don't overthink this project. Just make some decisions and GET STARTED.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Sorry, that was on another 454 towing post.

Cams were a Comp CL11-412-8 (HR266-12 grind) -210/220 - .485" lift

Crane 168721 - 214/220 duration

21 - 34 of 34 Posts