Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dart block, billet rods, billet crank. Brodix 11x 23deg heads. I would use EFI of some sort.
Can I realistically make 1250hp to the tires, with a single turbo?
If so what size turbo? Im thinking like a 101mm. What combo?
I dont have friends with turbos and only messed with nitrous. Any help would be appreciated. Some friends are saying go with a pro charger?

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
First off welcome to the bullet. There's a newbie thread in the trash or be trashed section where you need to go introduce yourself.

To answer you're question, anything above a 94mm would work. A precision 98mm moves enough air for 1800-1900 at the crank. I would pick a 98 or a 101 and use an F trim turbine wheel with a 1.00 housing.

And phuck a blower.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a 400 sbc with dart 230's and a 106mm and we make over 1250 to the wheels on a decent tune.

·
Registered
524 Posts
First off welcome to the bullet. There's a newbie thread in the trash or be trashed section where you need to go introduce yourself.

To answer you're question, anything above a 94mm would work. A precision 98mm moves enough air for 1800-1900 at the crank. I would pick a 98 or a 101 and use an F trim turbine wheel with a 1.00 housing.

And phuck a blower.
f-trim on a 406???:smt082 you will want to go with a gtrim 1.00 and if your BP shows up high goto a 1.32

·
Registered
277 Posts
G trim......... If your new to turbos .. find something nice and used/cheap in the f/s section to get you going... G trim 94/98/101..... none of them would be a bad choice.. most times the turbo isnt the limiting factor for new builds....

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Yes it needs to be an F trim especially if he goes to the bigger end of the spectrum. There is NO WAY a 23 degree headed 406 inch motor NEEDS a g trim turbine wheel. I've seen 430 inch motors that struggled to spool a g trim 101. Hell a 1.32 G trim is the hotside for my 511 inch big block... You REALLY think his 406 needs the same thing??

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yes it needs to be an F trim especially if he goes to the bigger end of the spectrum. There is NO WAY a 23 degree headed 406 inch motor NEEDS a g trim turbine wheel. I've seen 430 inch motors that struggled to spool a g trim 101. Hell a 1.32 G trim is the hotside for my 511 inch big block... You REALLY think his 406 needs the same thing??
i have had a 1.00 gtrim on my 406 23deg and it spools just fine....cam converter and tune is key....and to add insult to injury its carb to boot! so to answer your question yes i REALLY think thats what he needs....im not guessing here and have the data to prove it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just got done working on a 380SBF with a 106 1.00 G trim that had no problems spooling to 30+psi, I highly doubt a 406 is going to have problems with a 101 1.00 G trim. I can't exactly say what it made but it was over 1250 to the ground.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advise. Now where can I buy some parts? Turbo? Blow off valve, I have nothing turbo yet. Im going to build the headers and do the plumbing, unless I can find some good stuff that is used. Any ideas?

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
A g-trim 101 with at least 1.00 or larger AR is fine on a 400 inch motor.
Don't forget the rest of the engine. You need good wrist pins, rings, ring stack, fasteners, ect...
As for Wastegates and BOV's, JGS they are American Made and work well.

What is it going into?

·
TURBOBULLET.COM BITCHES!
6,046 Posts
I agree with Robert.. I ran a PT106/101 Gtrim on a 23degree AFR227 headed 400 small block and it spooled fine. It made 1284 at the rear wheels at 24psi. This is with a 1.0 A/R turbine housing..

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Its going into a 66 chevelle chassis car. About 2750#.
I havent got the short block put together yet. I am waiting on pistons and rings untill I know exactly what compression ratio. I get alot of turbo advise from people that dont have turbos. Thats why im asking you guys.

I have done a bunch of nitrous and roots blower stuff. But im so impressed with these turbo cars.
Id rather do a big block, but I already have this stuff.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Definitely do not go with an F-Trim exhaust wheel. Get a G-Trim in a 1.0 housing to get you started, if backpressure becomes an issue get the 1.32 housing at a later date. Make sure your hot side plumbing is sized properly as well. It's easy for the internet genius's to fuck that up then we have to listen to them complain why their turbo is so laggy.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I have a dart block, billet rods, billet crank. Brodix 11x 23deg heads. I would use EFI of some sort.
Can I realistically make 1250hp to the tires, with a single turbo?
If so what size turbo? Im thinking like a 101mm. What combo?
I dont have friends with turbos and only messed with nitrous. Any help would be appreciated. Some friends are saying go with a pro charger?

Standard GT98 with an F-trim and 1.0A/R is more then enough.

An F-trim with a 1.0A/R flows ~72lbs/min. That means it will support about 155lbs/min of compressor wheel flow before choking. 155lbs/min is about 1550-1600hp, so 1250rwhp should not be a problem. You will get good spool and plenty of top end. No reason in adding lag to a system.

·
9,225 Posts
Is this a track only car? The cam, converter, tune up, compression.....and a whole list of other variables impact spool time.

If it is a track car is it mainly 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile?

What budget? Can you buy a really nice new turbo or are you looking for a good used turbo for a good deal?

My single 106mm turbo on a 407ci engine makes about 2,000hp.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts