Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New build, built for street performance. New oil pump with 1/16" shim added under spring which was light green in colour. Primed engine, engine oil light went out indicating it had oil pressure. Fired up ok, ran for about 8-10 min, then broke off the die cast alum oil filter adapter & dumped the oil. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I would be curious what the actual oil pressure is, get a gauge on it. I switched to using a billet filter adapter on anything important,

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I agree you need to see what real pressure is. I have NEVER broken a factory oil filter mount on any race engine. That's not to say yours wasn't cracked or flawed but if it wasn't, that's a different problem.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Additional info since original post.
The SBC has a small pipe plug that gets tapped into place in the block under the rear main cap; it is in the passage that goes to the oil sender. Info I have read on the net suggests this plug should measure 8 3/8"- 8 1/2" from the top of the block, down the sender passage hole. Owner has measured it & he says it is about 8 3/4" down.
Looking at the oiling diagram, it seems if this plug was 1/4" lower than it should be, it blocks off the passage to the filter.
Since the problem sounds like excessive pressure in the filter or after it, I don't see this as causing the problem.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,507 Posts

Don't know if that will work ^^^.. THOUhts are the oil pump pressure bypass in the pump itself will bleed off a lot if the port you refer to is blocked,, but of course subject the oil filter to that pressure,,, I have seen filter o rings blow out due to too much pressure...but your case seems extreme...and I have never seen or heard of those filter adapters failing,, but,,,,, good luck,, did you get a pressure reading?

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
looking at the oiling diagram, it seems if this plug was 1/4" lower than it should be, it blocks off the passage to the filter.

except looking at the drawing in the link it would fall out because of the hole being larger,,,???

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a reduction [ a step ] in diameter that limits the travel of the plug, so I cannot see how it could fall out. You can see the step in the drawing & I noticed that step before I fitted the plug. The step limits travel so that the plug cannot block the passage to the filter. You would really have to bash the plug hard [ which I didn't do ] to force it past the step.

·
YB Liar and Chief
29,136 Posts
My guess is you blocked the bypass on the pump somehow when you shimmed the spring?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Max,
A good thought. I compressed the spring, shim & BP valve in the vice to make sure with the added shim, the assembly would move far enough for the BP to be fully open. And it did. BP was free when I assembled the pump.
????
Did a piece of trash get sucked into the pump & jam the BP? Whole engine was stripped & cleaned, block chemically cleaned. It's a mystery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts