Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious how many of you guys have played with nitrous on a turbo car. A lot of diesel guys have found that its alot easier on the motor to back the boost off to 40 lb from 60-70 psi and just adding nitrous to make the power. I'm wondering how well this translates to a gas motor. Anybody try backing off the boost a little and replacing with nitrous? What was your experience with it and did you see any difference in durability?

I seen several results of people adding small shots of nitrous to a turbo car and the motor picking up significantly more than the jetting should have, I assume because its cooling the charge and not displacing as much air as it would on an NA motor. To make the power I'm looking for is probably going to take 40-45 lbs of boost. I'm curious if leaving it at like 30-35 lbs and just adding some spray would be easier on the motor and make less heat than cramming boost in it.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
I would not complicate matters with the nitrous. You can't compare a engine that is designed to run in detonation vs one that will be destroyed by it. I would stick to boost and use an appropriate IC setup or preferably run methanol if it is an option that will work with your intended use of the car. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The car I am working on is the one in my signature. Its a 2.8L inline 6. The setup in the car is new but likely makes about 1000-1100 bhp at 30 lbs. I would like to get it around 1200-1300 bhp. Street car so runs pump E85, air to air intercooler, and a progressive water/meth injection controlled by the ECU. I have two dry stages plumbed in the car right now, one used to get it on the transbrake faster, and second to spray down track if desired. I think I will try spraying a small like 30 hp shot as soon as it comes off the brake and see what that does.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
The car I am working on is the one in my signature. Its a 2.8L inline 6. The setup in the car is new but likely makes about 1000-1100 bhp at 30 lbs. I would like to get it around 1200-1300 bhp. Street car so runs pump E85, air to air intercooler, and a progressive water/meth injection controlled by the ECU. I have two dry stages plumbed in the car right now, one used to get it on the transbrake faster, and second to spray down track if desired. I think I will try spraying a small like 30 hp shot as soon as it comes off the brake and see what that does.
You should run a compound turbo set up with the appropriate cooler as well.

·
Registered
49,441 Posts
Not to hijack but what do you mean an engine designed to run in detonation?
that's not a good way to characterize diesels, more like "auto" ignition is more accurate.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I have ran nitrous on my turbo bug back in the 80’s and 90’s, I have no numbers to back it up but a 50 shot feels more like 125, most likely due to the cooling effects. I had two nozzles right into the turbo and eventually ran 100 shot with 32 pounds of boost.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts