Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent been able to find this topic in this forum yet so i will start one. Just about every forum that has chassis related information theres majority of people claiming that ladder bars are better than 4 links on the street and on the track. I have yet to see where ladder bars dominate 4 link suspension. But i am still young and know i have alot to learn so lets hear it. I definetly dont see where a ladder bar will ride better for a street car as it has little or no anti-roll for indifferences in the road. Seems like it will constantly be binding up as you turn into parking lots or driveways with inclines...and if your roads are like the ones here in oklahoma there aint no why you could get by with that. Also if there so great for the street how come there isnt a single production car that i know of come out of the factory with ladder bars? Also if ladder bars are so great at the track then how come four links are the ones outlawed in most classes. The ONLY advantage i see with ladder bars is the clearence you can retain in your rear floor, and the ease of setting it up. Please enlighten me.

·
aka hulk
4,965 Posts
i never heard of people claiming ladder bars are superior to 4-links, i think you summed it all up in your post, as for street driving,why the hell would anybody with either one want to do some street driving with it?...just keep it stock suspension at that point!

·
Registered
570 Posts
rethink it... what they might be saying is that for street "racing" ladder bars would work better then a 4 link. there simple hit design would provide on/off traction better then a 4 link in that case maybe.

another possibilty is that alot of people truly cannot make 4 link cars work because....well they dont know how it works and fall back on the tried and true ladder bar camp.

·
REBUILDING
10,877 Posts
The floor issue may have its faults also. The four link may extend higher up, but the ladderbar definitely extends further forward! That may be an issue when it comes to front seat placement in a smaller car.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I have seen pretty much the exact opposite... everyone rams 4 link down your throat like there is only one way to build a race car.

The only advantages of ladder bars are the simplicity of install and tuning. And fitting into some classes of racing.

A modest tuner can make a ladder bar setup work well. Sometimes better than the more adjustable 4 link, without the right person making adjustments your not going to get any more out of it.

·
I kill parts
10,151 Posts
While I fully agree a properly set-up ladder bar car can hold it's own, there is a very good reason why most all pro cars run 4-links.

When's the last time you seen a pro stock or pro mod car with ladder bars?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Do your research, 4-links are "better" (I don't like using that term, because it depends) and the faster you go the more they become favored. Yes, they are also a better choice for a street driven car, because they don't bind up like ladder bars. Ladder bars are easier to install, a 4-link takes more fabrication. The 4-link is more adjustable and that gets some people in trouble. Both will work well if installed and adjusted correctly. There are some VERY fast ladder bar cars out there. It's when the track becomes difficult that the 4-links also have an advantage.

I researched this 6 years ago when I started building my car, called all the major chassis suppliers and all agreed a 4-link is the better choice, even more so if the car will see street duty. Down to about 9.00 it is pretty much a wash for a race car, start going faster and the 4-link becomes more desireable. Since my car is mostly a street car I went with a 4-link.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
I have seen pretty much the exact opposite... everyone rams 4 link down your throat like there is only one way to build a race car.

The only advantages of ladder bars are the simplicity of install and tuning. And fitting into some classes of racing.

A modest tuner can make a ladder bar setup work well. Sometimes better than the more adjustable 4 link, without the right person making adjustments your not going to get any more out of it.[/QUOTE]

This just goes to show how far off both your tuners are, I think ladder bars are harder to get right, close yes ( with a bias tire) but right on nothing left,,,, give me a four link, because that ladder bar will woop your ass!

·
Registered
516 Posts
A ladder bar is essentially a two link, and two links have been used in production vehicles. But...I wouldn't ever set out to build a street driven vehicle, and run a ladder bar or two link. It's just not a good idea, as they don't allow for articulation. Ladder bars are fine for vehicles that you really only want to move in a straight line, and aren't going to hit them with huge power. Anything other than that really should have a 4 link.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
Do your research, 4-links are "better" (I don't like using that term, because it depends) and the faster you go the more they become favored. Yes, they are also a better choice for a street driven car, because they don't bind up like ladder bars. Ladder bars are easier to install, a 4-link takes more fabrication. The 4-link is more adjustable and that gets some people in trouble. Both will work well if installed and adjusted correctly. There are some VERY fast ladder bar cars out there. It's when the track becomes difficult that the 4-links also have an advantage.

I researched this 6 years ago when I started building my car, called all the major chassis suppliers and all agreed a 4-link is the better choice, even more so if the car will see street duty. Down to about 9.00 it is pretty much a wash for a race car, start going faster and the 4-link becomes more desireable. Since my car is mostly a street car I went with a 4-link.
When ( in the old days) we did early 80's pro street cars it was about safety, break a heim on the street ( or the track before they mandated the strap) with the bind of a ladder car, your in trouble, break one with a 4 link not so much.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don't see how a ladder bar would be better than a 4-link on the track. Granted, the ladder bar is easier to setup initially and get good results quickly (less options), but the 4-link setup is far more adjustable and has the greater potential IF the person setting it up knows what they're doing. So the not-so-smart suspension guy may get better results with the ladder bar only because he doesn't know how to create the proper geometry in the 4-link based on CG height, weight distribution, tire size, track condition, damping rates, spring rates, etc.

Edit: I took so long to write this that I now see it's slightly redundant lol. Sorry bout that!

·
7.86 @ 8800DA 3365lb 275s
4,502 Posts
i never heard of people claiming ladder bars are superior to 4-links, i think you summed it all up in your post, as for street driving,why the hell would anybody with either one want to do some street driving with it?...just keep it stock suspension at that point!
because some people like the pro street look kinda hard to fit a 16 or 17" tire under a stock suspended car.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
A guy called me a couple weeks ago and asked about his g body not hooking up. It is all stock susp (the way it came from GM). I believe he has about mid 11 sec power. I told him the front needed some work and I was a dealer for trz and could get him a descent deal on the rear stuff. He says no, I want to four link it. So again I tell him the stock stuff is perfect for what he wants and remind him of the one we built here that went low eights and could drag the bumper 300' on radials. So he says he'll come over and talk about it. He calls yesterday and says he bought a summit ladderbar kit for 219, and wants to know how much to put it in. Summitt told him the bars will fit every kind of car. LOL. Since the last time I talked to him someone convinced him that ladderbars were the ticket. Must have been one of the afore mentioned people that think ladder bars cure everything. What a waste of a perfectly good factory four link.

·
Registered
989 Posts
A guy called me a couple weeks ago and asked about his g body not hooking up. It is all stock susp (the way it came from GM). I believe he has about mid 11 sec power. I told him the front needed some work and I was a dealer for trz and could get him a descent deal on the rear stuff. He says no, I want to four link it. So again I tell him the stock stuff is perfect for what he wants and remind him of the one we built here that went low eights and could drag the bumper 300' on radials. So he says he'll come over and talk about it. He calls yesterday and says he bought a summit ladderbar kit for 219, and wants to know how much to put it in. Summitt told him the bars will fit every kind of car. LOL. Since the last time I talked to him someone convinced him that ladderbars were the ticket. Must have been one of the afore mentioned people that think ladder bars cure everything. What a waste of a perfectly good factory four link.
Now that's incredible. He is about to waste a lot of money that could have been used to make more power. You're a good man because you tried to steer him right and save him money. I bet you sleep well at night.

·
Registered
989 Posts
because some people like the pro street look kinda hard to fit a 16 or 17" tire under a stock suspended car.

Or in my case I was starting with basically nothing, so I had to make a choice. I don't have huge tires, but I do drive the car.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Now that's incredible. He is about to waste a lot of money that could have been used to make more power. You're a good man because you tried to steer him right and save him money. I bet you sleep well at night.
Thanks. I can't cut his car for no reason when the factory stuff can be made to work better IMO. So he'll probably go find someone who will. I don't really have time to do it right now anyway. Some jobs are best to let go elsewhere. Nice lookin 7d camaro in your avatar:p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok, I'm going to bring this topic back into discussion. What setup, out of an aftermarket 4-link or Ladder Bars would be better suited to racing on drag radials?

I'm in the process of planning the rear end setup in the car I'm building and I am looking for opinions.

This is a race car only, no street driving at all and the cars factory 4-link is unable to be used due to clearance required for the 275/60s I'm running.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Good point, a lot of factory cars come with a 4 link style system, I used to run a 66 Chevelle which has a 4 link. A lot of the new cars have great factory suspentions that need minor extras to be great hooking cars. 4 links do give you a wide range of settings where you can go from a mild engine to a very high power added combo and can adjust for that. Ladder bars work good on low and medium HP combo's, very high HP work better with 4 link setups and they make the car a lot safer instead of only 2 connecting points.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Been doing this a long time and my opinion is Ladder bars work great but have limited adjustments for big tire high HP cars so the 4 link was developed. 4 link has unlimited adjustments. If I was going to build a low dollar small tire car with a back seat it would be a ladder bar car. They work great for that type car.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts