Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 413 Posts

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a long time since I've been back here on YB.

Some of you may remember my 79 Malibu that I had for 27+ years and showed alot of it's build here on YB. Some may know, some may not but i had a pretty bad accident with the car last October. The crash was at the top end just past the finish line at 150 mph. Was in the right hand lane, car made a hard left hand turn, struck the opposite jersey barrier and the car barrel rolled as many as 7 times. I don't remember the crash, only what some have told me. My injuries were minimal with a mild concussion, large bruise on my left thigh, and overall soreness which one would expect. Sadly, the car did not survive with the front and rear of the car being destroyed, but the driver compartment totally intact. The car saved my life, so no regrets.

Withing a week or two of the crash I was already looking for a replacement cadaver to build from. The g-body stuff is very difficult to get parts for and alot of the outer trim stuff on my car was NOS and not available anymore even in reproduction. The decision was to make it a race only car, and choose a format that is well supported by the aftermarket. You can easily guess, it's Fox body Mustang. I chose a hatchback as doing work in the back would be easier for a 51 year old guy like myself, plus I don't mind the looks of the hatch at all.

So like the Malibu I thought I would share the build here, step by step for those who may be interested and enjoy seeing a top notch build come to life from scratch. I'm over 750+ hours in on the build working evenings and every weekend pushing to try and complete the car before the end of 2021.

So this initial post will show the Malibu and the starting point of the Mustang build. I have over 700 pictures on my computer and it will take some time to get them uploaded to be able to post.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, so to lay out this build. It's my intention to continue to run 8.50 index at Cecil County Dragway with the monthly Street Car Shootout program. This time the car will be a round tube back half/4 link chassis with bolt on front suspension upgrades. With the Malibu bbc up front and round tube in the back, the car will most likely be nose heavy so some effort has been made to offset that as much as possible. The stock hatch will be maintained as well as keeping the stock doors with power windows. Up front the car will have a carbon fiber 1 piece front end and lift off hood. The roof will also be replaced with carbon.

With the 4 link rear suspension, the car will be raced on a M/T 315 Pro radial, same as the Malibu.

OK, with that said, the work began with stripping the car down at home as well as cutting out anything not needed, plus removing all the rust that was found. Once that was done the car was set on a fixture table to be ready to take it to work for fabrication once a bay became available. In the mean time I worked on replacing the front frame rails and building the rear housing.

I had purchased a reproduction frame rail kit for the rusted drivers side but after having it in hand I didn't like it so I decided to make frame rails from scratch which we have done on customers cars.

What I soon discovered when bolting the k-member up was the rear portion of the factory frame rail where the lower k-member bolted to, was welded in place too low in the car keeping the k-member from sitting tight against the upper bolt locations. The best fix for me was to eliminate the factory rear frame pocket and again, make that from scratch.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All the while work was being done on the car, parts were starting to arrive.

Motor City Solutions carbon fiber dash.

Racecraft Inc front suspension & k-member

TBM brakes front & rear.

Tin Soldiers Race Cars small tire 4 link.

Mark Williams anti-roll bar.

Weld Racing V-series wheels, 14" with beadlocks provided by Mac Fab Beadlocks.

Weld Full Throttle 17" spindle mount front wheels.

Santhuff spindle mount struts.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This car was a 1989, but it will be converter to the 85-86 four eye version.

Carbon Fiber front end from Motor City Solutions.

Trying to find a 85-86 rear bumper was like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Thankfully a friend of a friend had one and was willing to part with it for the project.

Carbon roof panel.

·
Registered
58,783 Posts
This car was a 1989, but it will be converter to the 85-86 four eye version.

Carbon Fiber front end from Motor City Solutions.

Trying to find a 85-86 rear bumper was like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Thankfully a friend of a friend had one and was willing to part with it for the project.

Carbon roof panel.

Looks like a Steve Pennywhitt roof...

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Beautiful build and attention to detail! Seems a little overkill for 8.50 index though.
Everything I do is overkill. The Malibu was overkill for 8.50 as well.

I do chassis work for a living so this build is only costing me in parts. Granted I’m giving up about 1000 hours of free time, but my labor is free.

1 - 20 of 413 Posts