Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
luv the bullet but no 4 cylinders area ? , i know there are some die hard 4 bangers on here. have a lot of interest in small cui builds. lets see what you got.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Jeff, Just the flywheel design. The solid flywheel took care of the issue. One flywheel a run for three runs, LOL..

Bob, it made 490+/300 first time on the dyno, 202 cid. The index was 9.36 and in testing it went 8.80's w/powerglide. I went to one Divisional. I ordered a McClay 3-speed, more converters, did more head work, and changed a few things. Within one month the index went from 9.36 to 8.95, I had enough. I sold it off and decided to concentrate on buisness. Purchased a bracket car and a bunch of equipment....

However, 4-cylinder Comp racing is the bomb.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I started bracket racing 4 bangers way back in 83. My 84 Plymouth Horizon is gutted down to 1760 lbs and uses a stock 84 hp NA motor. The car is called Matchbox and it is what I've used to win the vast majority of my 36 NHRA/IHRA Championships. I had gotten i down to the 13s but got tired of all the breakage. The 1st motor lasted 100,000 miles until just plain worn out, the second motor also lasted 100,000 miles. The third motor has nearly 80,000 miles on it and does not seem to be getting worn, but this one has only a 410 cam while the other two had a 500 lift one...so this one is shifted at only 5000 rpm which helps on the wear. The car went through 11 of the stock 5 speeds in 100,000 miles until I switched to an automatic. After 100,000 miles that trnny was just plain worn out. The current automatic uses a full MVB and Coan converter and nearing 80,000 miles the fluid still looks new. Firming up the slop between the shifts is helping the clutches last. My other car is a 05 SRT4 Neon that I race in the United Manual Transmission Series. It has run a best of 12.17 at 115. Both of these cars are run on pump gas and are driven to the track. The Neon now has four snow tires and is my dailey driver. If the SRT4 is broke I pull out my 96 Geo Metro 3 banger that runs a normal et of 19.9 at 65 mph!!!!! I have raced it three times and made money twice. At the Stick Shift Nationals (UMTR) I had borrowed by mechanics plain jane 95 Neon and WON....the SRT4 had twisted the transmission input shaft in half at the race before that. I entered that race in 6th place pts position and ended up in second!

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
Jeff, Just the flywheel design. The solid flywheel took care of the issue. One flywheel a run for three runs, LOL..

Bob, it made 490+/300 first time on the dyno, 202 cid. The index was 9.36 and in testing it went 8.80's w/powerglide. I went to one Divisional. I ordered a McClay 3-speed, more converters, did more head work, and changed a few things. Within one month the index went from 9.36 to 8.95, I had enough. I sold it off and decided to concentrate on buisness. Purchased a bracket car and a bunch of equipment....

However, 4-cylinder Comp racing is the bomb.
Frequency Vibration you think, because of the power pulse of the 4.

·
Banned
110,033 Posts
luv the bullet but no 4 cylinders area ? , i know there are some die hard 4 bangers on here. have a lot of interest in small cui builds. lets see what you got.
This thread is useless without pictures :p

Now you should know better than to start a thread about engines with no pic's.

Here are a couple of yours:

Honda V-Tec

Dan what the hardest running 4 banger you've built or did a cam for?

G-

Jon

·
Registered
270 Posts
Not peeing on any engine. But have you ever talked to them 4 cylinder guys? It may be a age thing but it usually gets pretty juvinial [spelling] pretty fast in my experiance. I think that would be hard to control? Most are just a tune or something a ma jig away from having a 5 second car.

·
YB Liar and Chief
29,165 Posts
Nothing wrong with a good 4 cylinder. Have built many. KRP design *like Chads* Esslinger, Scat, Mopar, Toyota 2-3rz, Honda F22, SR24det ect......midget, hydroplane, prolite, pullers, whatever.

I'm not experienced with turbochargers on these but nitrous, nitro, alcohol, injections ect. Built several 350+hp rigs.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
this thing looks like the prolight engine , with a ford head ? what is all the specs chad , i like pushrod 4 cyl and the better twin cam hondas that are out now. we have been doing the usac midget with honda s2000 engine since 06' and the chevrolet pushrod is a 2.7 litre with dart 16 degree head made spl. for 4.00" bore. that thing is a stump puller. 315 hp and 229 ftlbs thats our 90k$ photo of the truck...
I want to add a photo. It's a $40,000 photo and I like to share it any chance I get! :p

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
this thing looks like the prolight engine , with a ford head ? what is all the specs chad , i like pushrod 4 cyl and the better twin cam hondas that are out now. we have been doing the usac midget with honda s2000 engine since 06' and the chevrolet pushrod is a 2.7 litre with dart 16 degree head made spl. for 4.00" bore. that thing is a stump puller. 315 hp and 229 ftlbs thats our 90k$ photo of the truck...

It's a KRP Block, 4.155 bore, 55mm cam, .937 keyway lifters, 3.750 Moldex, GRP rods, IW balancer, Custom belt drive, Custom distributor, Charlie's oil pan, 7/16 pushrods, JE Pistons, Starr pump, Moroso single stage, Hogan manifold, BRE dominator.

The head is a Darin Morgan SB2.2, Victory valves, PAC, 289cc runner, Jesel rockers.

It made peak at 96-9700 rpm. Never gave it a fair shake due to a couple guys in an index war. However, one did win the Championship that year. Just the wrong time to build a G/EA..

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
204 cui , very big ass 4 banger . whats power like ? dyno data... i need data for future 3litre builds. nice specs chad. does it live good , hows mains look.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.