Discussion Starter #1
thinking about doing an 4.6l or 5.4l ford build

give me your pros and cons on these motors if u like

just letting you know i plan on not using a turbo set up
thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would do a 4.6 big bore. 4 valve heads and boost will make plenty of power. The down fall is the cost of parts. Race style valve train can also get stupid expensive but the stock lash adjusters and rockers are ok if you keep the rpm at a reasonable level. Turbo or turbos are the way to go...

·
Registered
601 Posts
I do know one thing...

it takes a lot of money to get a N/A Mod engine of any kind to run....

4.6 big bore and the 4 valve heads are sweet... that would probably be the route I would take aswell...

what power adder are you going with...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Go LSx...Mod stuff is problematic and overly complicated. Juice not worth the squeeze.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I would go push rod motor(WAY CHEAPER when comparing hp per dollar) and this is coming from a guy that has a 07 3 valve 640rwhp. Heads cost a ton. Cams are anywhere from 1200-2000 bucks. Aint many options for intake manifolds unless you have a sheet metal made. But bottom end aint to bad. Just run the 03-04 cobra bottom they can handle 800hp easy all day long. Other thing I would look at is what kind of car is it going in. Is it already set up for a mod motor?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Are you looking to run this in a class? or is it a street car or a test and tune toy? If you are running a class that uses weight to cubic inch and they get a good [email protected] around 300/320ci a mod motor will make more Hp per cubic inch then any other domestic V8! And if the class is tire limited the lighter weight is a big help in the hotter weather when the tracks start to go away. But the power is not cheap but not that much more then a LS or new mopar. But if you are just test and tuning then it`s hard to beat cubic inches and push rods. In Liberty Dan

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Calling Bullshit on the Mod stuff being weak. Yes it can be puzzling to those of us who have only known traditional V-8's, myself included. However, the Mod guy's in NMRA Pure Street are going 10:00's at 3200lbs plus in N/A trim and George Klasses buddy has been kicking everyones ass in NHRA Comp Eliminator with a 4.6 Mod Motor. Mind you they are using stock blocks reinforced, and George said in a post on here somewhere about them still using stock valvetrain pieces at 9K. See the link below

http://www.pscaracing.com/driverprofiles/prostreetjohnm.html

·
Registered
324 Posts
Calling Bullshit on the Mod stuff being weak. Yes it can be puzzling to those of us who have only known traditional V-8's, myself included. However, the Mod guy's in NMRA Pure Street are going 10:00's at 3200lbs plus in N/A trim and George Klasses buddy has been kicking everyones ass in NHRA Comp Eliminator with a 4.6 Mod Motor. Mind you they are using stock blocks reinforced, and George said in a post on here somewhere about them still using stock valvetrain pieces at 9K. See the link below

http://www.pscaracing.com/driverprofiles/prostreetjohnm.html
x2 and the new Boss 302 engine in the Mustang makes over 1.6 per cubic inch which is a bunch more HP to cubic inch then any other N/A domestic production V8 ever. So rock on. In Liberty Dan

·
Registered
83 Posts
Stock stuff is pretty strong. We made almost 1600hp many years ago in NMRA SSO with a stock 5.4 block, stock crank, stock valve train, stock heads mildly ported and a hogan intake.91 turbo and 28psi....

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
4.6...best little motor I ever owned....
X2,The little 4.6 3V in my 2010 F-150 Supercab 4X4 pulls it along pretty good for a big truck.I raced it last year with only 750 miles on it and it suprised me ran a 16.257 at 84.89 mph in the 1/4 mile.:p:p

Later Mark.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts