Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going from 4.600 to 4.610 bore so I need a new tapered ring sleeve for 4.610. I have looked around some but have not found anyone who sells one. Anyone know of a source?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have had total seal make odd bore sizes, but usually i put them in a lathe and open them up very carefully. polish the transition from taper to straight and it will work like a charm.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I guess I need to make one then? I'd have never guessed that......LOL.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I had a 4.610 bore also, had to open up a 4.600 one, no big deal and worked great. Going 4.615 this year gonna have to open it up a little more.

·
Super Moderator
35,335 Posts
I use the adjustable tapered sleeves from Total Seal.... that way I'm not locked into specific bore sizes. They work awesome as well.... never had a problem with their tapered sleeves.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll see if I can chuck it up in the lathe and keep it round then bore it .010. Only have a 3 jaw chuck so it could get ugly. LOL. Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
35,335 Posts
I've done that as well... it can be done with a 3 jaw and a boring bar, but once you break thru the hard anodizing it might not like the ring sliding thru the taper so much... especially where the corner of the taper to straight portion is.. just osmething to keep in mind. you're only going .005 in material.

I was trying to make a 4.200 into a 4.250 LOL

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've done that as well... it can be done with a 3 jaw and a boring bar, but once you break thru the hard anodizing it might not like the ring sliding thru the taper so much... especially where the corner of the taper to straight portion is.. just osmething to keep in mind. you're only going .005 in material.

I was trying to make a 4.200 into a 4.250 LOL
This is why i mentioned the polishing of the transition. Thats rather important especially with the tiny rings we use nowadays.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
just sawcut thru one side ( wall)...and go to store and buy a gear drive hose clamp to squeeeze it back together...

we like to remove allmost all of the chamfer that is on edge ( bottom of ring/piston installer ring ) so that the thin rings do not hang up on the deck/bore interface.....

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts
i used my 4.600 tapered for my 4.610 pistons..slid right through...now the bore is even bigger and i bought an adjustable tapered one.

·
Registered
589 Posts
just sawcut thru one side ( wall)...and go to store and buy a gear drive hose clamp to squeeeze it back together...

we like to remove allmost all of the chamfer that is on edge ( bottom of ring/piston installer ring ) so that the thin rings do not hang up on the deck/bore interface.....
Good idea

1 - 14 of 14 Posts