Yellow Bullet Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
My wife loved our 06 sedan deville. One of the nicest cars I have ever drove. Like you were riding around in a lazy boy. Very Very Comfortable no matter where you sat in it. Lots of leg room front and back. Thing ran like a raped ape. It got 33mpg on the highway too. Got it with 33,000 miles on it. Drove it for years till it started using coolant at 295,000 miles. Paid 7,000 for it. Car was mint. Never had one problem with it other than that. My son had a 98 that he got with low mileage too. His only lasted to 250,000 before it started using coolant. But he beat on his all the time. He had to change the starter on his and was faster than if it was underneath. Piece of cake. He never had any other problems with his. He paid 4500 for it with 58,000 on it. He loved that car.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
My wife loved our 06 sedan deville. One of the nicest cars I have ever drove. Like you were riding around in a lazy boy. Very Very Comfortable no matter where you sat in it. Lots of leg room front and back. Thing ran like a raped ape. It got 33mpg on the highway too. Got it with 33,000 miles on it. Drove it for years till it started using coolant at 295,000 miles. Paid 7,000 for it. Car was mint. Never had one problem with it other than that. My son had a 98 that he got with low mileage too. His only lasted to 250,000 before it started using coolant. But he beat on his all the time. He had to change the starter on his and was faster than if it was underneath. Piece of cake. He never had any other problems with his. He paid 4500 for it with 58,000 on it. He loved that car.
I don't think OP was even looking at a north star powered car. :) But I agree, bought right, at lower miles, a lot of people got good use out of them. A lot of people bought new and took a bath, no surprise!

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Nasty pos. Two people in family had them. Major mistakes. I fixed a blown intake plenum on one and that was the most minor of issues. Don’t forget they have deathcool as a cherry on the sundae. That’s just a general hurdle you’ll have to deal with. Let alone the unique fuckery caddy added.

·
Registered
40,861 Posts
I don't think OP was even looking at a north star powered car. :) But I agree, bought right, at lower miles, a lot of people got good use out of them. A lot of people bought new and took a bath, no surprise!
That, or he's looking at a 4 door Bonneville GXP which did offer that engine. The GP GTP and GXP came with either supercharged 3.8s or the LS4 5.3 as mentioned earlier. And neither car was offered as a 2 door in 2004 (last year for GP coupes was 2002).

What exactly are you looking at, PC?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
That, or he's looking at a 4 door Bonneville GXP which did offer that engine. The GP GTP and GXP came with either supercharged 3.8s or the LS4 5.3 as mentioned earlier. And neither car was offered as a 2 door in 2004 (last year for GP coupes was 2002).

What exactly are you looking at, PC?
His words:

itt's a sweet 2dr GXP with 61k

·
Registered
7,652 Posts
I had a buddy the worked for Ettelson Cadillac back in the early 2000s. His only job was pulling North Star heads and repairing the threads in the blocks. He enlisted in the Marines to get away from that job.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Most of us on here should be capable of installing studs. There is a company in Canada that makes a kit that uses enlarged studs. You drill and tap the block and the studs have larger coarser threads than stock and then taper down to fit through heads. I've done it once but don't have long term results yet. But it should make the head gasket problem a thing of the past. You do have to pull the engine but again, very doable by most with at least some experience.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts