Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Heads gaskets fail, and the aluminum block doesn’t have enough head bolt threads, so they pull out on final torque, and we’d to be hell-coiled. Huge job, engine needs to come out….out the bottom. I have heard there’s some kind of quick stud swap for this, but never done it myself.
Overall they’re not horrible though, electrical gremlins and oil leaks are common, alternator is a bitch to do, starter is under intake, etc…..wheel bearings fail often, and parts are costly

·
Registered
282 Posts
Heads gaskets fail, and the aluminum block doesn’t have enough head bolt threads, so they pull out on final torque, and we’d to be hell-coiled. Huge job, engine needs to come out….out the bottom. I have heard there’s some kind of quick stud swap for this, but never done it myself.
Overall they’re not horrible though, electrical gremlins and oil leaks are common, alternator is a bitch to do, starter is under intake, etc…..wheel bearings fail often, and parts are costly
You nailed it.I know of three different Cadillacs that were owned by friends of mine,and all three ended up going to the scrap yard over engine troubles caused by blown head gaskets.I remember one of my friends tried to fix his and gave up on it when he pulled the threads out of the block when torquing one of the head bolts after a gasket change.I guess if he decides to buy it he might want to keep a few gallons of water and a case of stop leak in the trunk so he can make it home when he drives it somewhere 😁

·
Western North Carolina
25,655 Posts
As mentioned they are a pos. Head gaskets and having to install the thread Serts suck. A lot of them past through the dealer and after receiving the estimate promptly traded. A buddy of mine ended up buying one for $150 dollars. And it was an extremely nice car. He was a caddy tech and fixed it for his wife.

·
Registered
40,861 Posts
I read the same about the over heating and pulled studs it's best to let this one go. too bad .itt's a sweet 2dr GXP with 61k
Depends on the price.....

Northstar Cadillac sedans can be had for little of nothing; they're plush, comfortable drivers and when the engine finally gives out, just scrap the rest. Lot of luxury on the cheap as long as it lasts. We've seen head gasket issues, of course, but the biggest headache is bottom end oil leaks and over time, every Northstar ever built will develop that problem and it's a 4-figure fix.

Easy enough to check, of course, and if that car isn't priced out of sight it might be worth considering. For what it's worth, 2002-up Northstars had fewer head gasket issues then the earlier models.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Run away. YT has numerous videos and reviews on these engines. I’m a Cadillac guy myself and was browsing around at a few Northstar cars. I decided against it and found this 1 owner 90 coupe. Older is better sometimes..
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Car

·
Registered
7,385 Posts
I'm not scared of them. Because I lost a couple years of my life working on them.
I still remember the time I did the water pump sequence wrong 3 times on the 1st pump I did while silicone was on the housing. With the non-flex fuel lines. That was good times and maybe why I drink......who knows 🙂

1 - 20 of 37 Posts