Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I are rebuilding a 67 Lemans for a street cruiser. The 326 that was in it needs a complete rebuild along with the 389 and 400 Pontiac engines I have. His first thought was to rag the 454 that I have for another project and put that in with a th400, but I told him that even though it would be fun he might get a little tired of stopping twice on the way to school to put gas in. His best friend is a GM tech and suggested dropping in a 4.3 and 700r4 that we have, keeping the fuel injection and computer. The car only weighs 3000lbs so I think it would move it alright.
Comments or ideas greatly appreciated.:confused:

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I may be wrong but if you look at the gas mileage of the S-10's with 4.3 I don't think you would be gaining a whole lot of mileage over a 350/700R4 combo, but if you already have it go for it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 97 MKIII blazer we had got around 18 mpg, at 4000lbs. A 1000lbs lighter should help plus the 3:23 gears. It wouldn't be able to get out of it's own way but it would beat 8mpg with the 454 or similar with the Pontiac motors.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I think there was a LT1 v8 near 4.3L out of caprices etc- likely cheap to source. Other wise any 4.3L I've driven is a gas hog.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Keep it all Pontiac, rebuild the 326" with a turbo 350 or 400 from a Pontiac and put a gear venders overdrive in it if you need gas milage.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Not sure if you have actually weighed that car but I have a 66 Tempest and it weighs 3650lbs. I would stick with a V8 because of the cool factor. You should be able to get one of the Pontiac motors rebuilt for cheap if it is just a cruiser.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
My 89 Silverado 350 same gas mileage as my 09 Silverado 4.3 bout 17mpg. Both are base model work trucks, both came with about the same hp.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keep it all Pontiac, rebuild the 326" with a turbo 350 or 400 from a Pontiac and put a gear venders overdrive in it if you need gas milage.
The 326 is a slug and the gearvenders are way to pricey.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure if you have actually weighed that car but I have a 66 Tempest and it weighs 3650lbs. I would stick with a V8 because of the cool factor. You should be able to get one of the Pontiac motors rebuilt for cheap if it is just a cruiser.
Manual brakes and steering, heater delete, aluminum intake, and headers. Car weighs 3018 lbs with 3/4 tank of gas. Drop in a sbc or v6 and loose another 150 lbs. The cool factor is the body style, and 80 mile round trips for school are in the plans, basically a daily driver from May to October. I have three engines but the heads are junk, small valve, high compression, and non hardened seats. Not worth the money to rebuild.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 89 Silverado 350 same gas mileage as my 09 Silverado 4.3 bout 17mpg. Both are base model work trucks, both came with about the same hp.
I had an 89 extended cab long bed Silverado that I put 318,000 miles on before the frame completely rotted off. The thing still ran great.

·
Capri For Sale
12,976 Posts
I'd build the 400 Pontiac engine in a Pontiac, that would be kind of unique. All of my Pontiacs back in the 70's had big block chevys in them mostly because it was an easy performance upgrade but if I did it today I'd do the Pontiac engine because it would be way cool compared to the swapped engines.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The whole point of the 4.3 and overdrive is for fuel mileage, and we already have them. Yes it would be great to run the 400/400 but then it becomes useless as a daily driver, especially 80 mile round trips to school during the week. This is for a 19 year old who makes $11.00 per hour, not someone who makes $50k a year and doesn't care about 8 miles per gallon. He already has his race truck and wants a cool cruiser that's good on gas. He's more comfortable with electronics and fuel injection than with carbs :)rolleyes:). He's not looking for a race car as he has that. Basically I would listen to any options people have about a drivetrain that would get deceant fuel mileage and not be a complete turd.

·
Registered
15,923 Posts
I like the idea, but how much customizing would be necessary to fit it? I'm not sure I'd do it if you had you would have a lot of trouble putting in a v8 down the road. Also it seems like a 4.8/700r4 combo would cost nearly the same as the 4.3 and net better results. And you could even put on a car intake and the LS GTO engine covers and pretend its all pontiac.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Not sure if you have actually weighed that car but I have a 66 Tempest and it weighs 3650lbs.
Manual brakes and steering, heater delete, aluminum intake, and headers. Car weighs 3018 lbs with 3/4 tank of gas.
Wow. I'm having a hard time swallowing the curb weights here. Not doubting you guys, but damn, you're talking about a full frame car that is practically a land yacht! A 66' LeMans with a 326 is what I drove right after I got my licence. I would never think to this day that car weighed anything less that 4k+.

Anyways, I know I would point and laugh if I saw a Tempest/LeMans/GTO with a 4.3 in it. OP, don't do it. IMO, you'd be better off doing an EFI LS swap if you're chasing mileage. If you're really hard up for mileage and want to retain some cool factor, put a 4bt in it.:p

·
Capri For Sale
12,976 Posts
The whole point of the 4.3 and overdrive is for fuel mileage, and we already have them. Yes it would be great to run the 400/400 but then it becomes useless as a daily driver, especially 80 mile round trips to school during the week. This is for a 19 year old who makes $11.00 per hour, not someone who makes $50k a year and doesn't care about 8 miles per gallon. He already has his race truck and wants a cool cruiser that's good on gas. He's more comfortable with electronics and fuel injection than with carbs :)rolleyes:). He's not looking for a race car as he has that. Basically I would listen to any options people have about a drivetrain that would get deceant fuel mileage and not be a complete turd.

I understand completely what you're saying. Well except the part where you want to make a 47 year old classic car into a commuter car for a 19yo kid to tear up driving 80 miles to school every day. I kind of don't get that part.

Tell him to get a Carolla to commute in.

·
Capri For Sale
12,976 Posts
Wow. I'm having a hard time swallowing the curb weights here. Not doubting you guys, but damn, you're talking about a full frame car that is practically a land yacht! A 66' LeMans with a 326 is what I drove right after I got my licence. I would never think to this day that car weighed anything less that 4k+.

Anyways, I know I would point and laugh if I saw a Tempest/LeMans/GTO with a 4.3 in it. OP, don't do it. IMO, you'd be better off doing an EFI LS swap if you're chasing mileage. If you're really hard up for mileage and want to retain some cool factor, put a 4bt in it.:p

I had a '65 GTO 327 Chevy and a 4 speed. It weighed 3460 iirr. Damn 327 would run circles around the 389 poncho that came in that car too.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts