Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. I need some ASAP, anyone know where I can get some? plus or minus .002 on the thickness.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, that is what I am going to do. Sucks I wanted to assemble this weekend. I talked to the machine shop today, they told me they left extra just in case I had a problem. Funny they failed to mention this. I hate having to baby sit them.

·
Butch
8,208 Posts
Yea, that is what I am going to do. Sucks I wanted to assemble this weekend. I talked to the machine shop today, they told me they left extra just in case I had a problem. Funny they failed to mention this. I hate having to baby sit them.
SCE has some Copper, I do not remember the part number but I needed a set one time and they had them.

Milodon IIRC has .030" or .028" but also Copper

Cometic does a .028" MLS that is basically the same as the GM 4.165" x .028", I know its not .020" but it is probably the closest you will get without decking the block

What is the engine's usage and what rods and how far as the pistons in the hole?

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
.008 isn't going to make a BITof difference in power........................put it together and RUN IT...................

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4130 h beams, .018 in the hole. My target quench is .037-.039. I will not defer more than .002 tighter, or .001 looser. Just my thing. it is a circle track motor, so every bit counts.

·
Butch
8,208 Posts
4130 h beams, .018 in the hole. My target quench is .037-.039. I will not defer more than .002 tighter, or .001 looser. Just my thing. it is a circle track motor, so every bit counts.
Go with the .030", you will be happy you did

I have used Scat I Beam Pro Comp 7/16" bolt rods with no issues in drag race use and street. In circle track after our first season being involved in the engine program and valve train, we seen almost .010" stretch in the rods, yes .010" :rolleyes:

I go for .038" to .042" in steel rod drag race engines, but I go for .048" to .050" in circle track now. Also, when the piston is out of the bore it seems to help, we have seen better ring seal, not sure why (Example below)

.010" in hole, .038" gasket for .048" quench

.012" out of the hole, and a .060" gasket for a .048" quench

Be safe, you can live loose the whole time, but you can only be too tight one time

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
No offense intended, but you're smashing atoms. Build it & go have fun.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
you looked around for single steel shim or 'headsaver' gaskets? They are usually .017. Get one for a stock sbc 400 and the bore should be right

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
biggest I could find was for a 4.1 bore. No offense to scat, but I despise thier rods. If I must use chineese rods, only eagles. I have never seen a failure from thier rods. Now the finish work on thier cranks.... thats another story.

·
Butch
8,208 Posts
biggest I could find was for a 4.1 bore. No offense to scat, but I despise thier rods. If I must use chineese rods, only eagles. I have never seen a failure from thier rods. Now the finish work on thier cranks.... thats another story.
Funny thing is Eagle can not hold a Tolerance to save their life, I have only used Scat's I Beam Pro Comp with the 1.400" under head length 7/16" bolts with zero issues.

You have to stop and think, these engines in circle track before the 7800rpm rule, 1/3 track running 6.14+ gears and lifting going into the turn at or near 8000rpm (Engine braking) and going wide open coming out of the turn. Eagle shows the same thing. I like Eagle's material.

I have no issue with Probe's Lightweight I Beam, Scat Pro Comp I Beam, Eagle H Beam or any Manley Rod. Now if the guys were not on a budget, I would love to have Manley's Pro Series rods in there, at 6" they are just over 600grams and they stay round but are about $1,500 at Retail/Jeg's/Summit etc

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
next time you do one, try the honda rod. Works wonders on cam clearence. How heavy are the pistons you use for circle track? I like to stay under 400, it seems to help stuff live. I like 1 inch CH stuff though

1 - 14 of 14 Posts