Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, last year I smoked two transmissions in 2 outings, and this year looks no better. I ran an 8.6 at 136 or some bullshit with a failing trans then backed it up with an 8.55 at 155 short shifting because I had no first gear. This was at 3450 lbs.

So, being the motivated individual I am, I got my car down to 2920 with my skinny ass in it. Brian Tooley did some work to my heads, which picked up 100 rwhp on one kit. In fact, it trapped 153 on one system with a converter so tight it would drag the motor down to 5200 (it needs two stages to get going......)

Threw new Hoosiers on, turn on two systems, and boom! There goes another fucking trans. Had to push This bitch back in the trailer since it had no first or second.

So.......who does your powerglides? I am willing to ship this piece of shit anywhere at this point. I am seriously considering a new hobby.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I run a locally built glide with all ati parts (built to superglide II specs). Only two issues in 2 years. had to upgrade the band to a wideband. Had to replace one input shaft due (it broke due to a known heat treat issue) . They replaced the shaft at no charge.

·
Fastest mustang roller
3,005 Posts
that sucks, I hope you find a good trans builder and get it all together for some good runs.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I am running a locally built one that was origanally built for my dad's racecar back in 1990 LOL. It has the stock case and one of the old single wire trans breaks! It has taken low 9's like a champ!

·
Registered
27,956 Posts

·
ProStock Jackstand Winner
25,123 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
My glide was built by Carl Rossler, never had a problem with it in 4 years of racing. Sent it back this spring to freshen it up, all it needed was discs. Excellent customer service, Carl will talk to you about your set up and build you exactly what you need. Give them a call you will never regret it.

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,553 Posts
are you n2o or turbo? Theres plenty os low 8 sec turbo cars using stock case an gear with just good clutchs an input shaft change...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
307 Posts
My glide was built by Carl Rossler, never had a problem with it in 4 years of racing. Sent it back this spring to freshen it up, all it needed was discs. Excellent customer service, Carl will talk to you about your set up and build you exactly what you need. Give them a call you will never regret it.
X2

·
Registered
49,434 Posts
Talk to Hutch over on the transmission forum hear on the bullet. Great guy and builds some of the fastest powerglides and th400's known to man.

·
Registered
8,135 Posts
We have our Coan that has been bullet proof for about 5 years now.

We would let you borrow it but we are hoping to be out running here soon.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Well, last year I smoked two transmissions in 2 outings, and this year looks no better. I ran an 8.6 at 136 or some bullshit with a failing trans then backed it up with an 8.55 at 155 short shifting because I had no first gear. This was at 3450 lbs.

So, being the motivated individual I am, I got my car down to 2920 with my skinny ass in it. Brian Tooley did some work to my heads, which picked up 100 rwhp on one kit. In fact, it trapped 153 on one system with a converter so tight it would drag the motor down to 5200 (it needs two stages to get going......)

Threw new Hoosiers on, turn on two systems, and boom! There goes another fucking trans. Had to push This bitch back in the trailer since it had no first or second.

So.......who does your powerglides? I am willing to ship this piece of shit anywhere at this point. I am seriously considering a new hobby.
What are you breaking in the trans?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Same story every time. Needs clutches, bands, and pump. We changed valvebody to an ati unit to up the line pressure his past time.

·
Registered
8,135 Posts
Same story every time. Needs clutches, bands, and pump. We changed valvebody to an ati unit to up the line pressure his past time.
Might have a bad case. :smt102

After 3 breaks I would just buy a whole different unit ya jjjuuuuu ! LOL

Sell us your roller cheap if your getting out. LOL

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
are you n2o or turbo? Theres plenty os low 8 sec turbo cars using stock case an gear with just good clutchs an input shaft change...
Posted via Mobile Device
At what weight? There is no fuckin way people are going in the 1.2 short time range wether its turbo or nitrous powered with stock planetaries in a 3000+lb car...

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Conrad we use coan it was 3 years old last year with about 300 passes and 10000 miles. been about 50 1.29's or better and half those passes are in my car at 3400lbs+.

I had a 400 with a bad case and it blew up 3 times in 3 passes. we switched the usable guts to a new case new clutches etc and never broke again...I also switched builders at the time so not 100 on the case being the issue.

We used a local guy to freshen up our stuff and build trannys for customer cars hes pretty good if you want to drop it off to him and have him take a look at it. If not buy a coan complete and be done with it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts