1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys running?

9"? 9.5"?

Is gear lightening worth doing?
What about aluminum spools? I know you save near 4lbs with alum spool.

Need to get something going for my TD and unsure on 9" or 9.5" and which type of spool. 15-1600 hp n2 hardtail dragster.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
The fastest cars I know for sure that have aluminum spools are both 9" Ford's with lightened gears, one is a 6.60's car that weights 2050# and is a 4 link. Its made a couple hundred runs and shows no wear on the spool.

The other car has run 6.30's at 1875#'s and has probably close to 150 runs and looks good.

My car isn't as fast but has a lot more runs, 6.80'-6.90's at 1875# with nearly 1000 runs and I just had it apart. It looks almost new.

All 3 are Mark Williams aluminum 9" spools and lightened gears

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
Get an aluminum spool and lighten ring gear. And low drag ball bearing pinion support.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx guys got a Mark Williams unit going together. Alum spool 40 spline 9" with lightened gears. Chrisman doing the assembly.

How much is the low drag pinion support really worth?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thx guys got a Mark Williams unit going together. Alum spool 40 spline 9" with lightened gears. Chrisman doing the assembly.

How much is the low drag pinion support really worth?
Question: Wouldn't new axels be required splined for the aluminum spool?:confused:

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
Question: Wouldn't new axels be required splined for the aluminum spool?:confused:
No it shouldn't. Aluminum spool would have same spline pitch/angle as a steel spool brand for brand.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I pulled a strange unit with steel spool and strange axles and replaced it with a MW unit with alum spool and the same axles fit just fine, going on a year now with no problems...

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I mentioned that its an aluminum Williams spool to Strange when I ordered axles, I dont think theres a difference though. Regardless they are aware of the spool Im using and the axles fit perfectly when I slid them in. The axles were made a custom length for the Williams spool for some reason, I think the Williams and strange spools vary a little?... Perhaps the spline lengths are different when using aluminum spools? But Im pretty sure 40 spline is 40 spline.

Was your question directed towards length of spline/engagement because its being driven by an aluminum spool gangster1220?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts