Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know how long the oe driveshaft is? i need to order one but dont know the spec. the only thing i know is that with the car near ride height the length from the front of the rear end yoke to the flat part on the tailshaft is 47.75" does this sound correct?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
slide the yoke in the tranny, leave it out about an inch from tatally in an measure from center to center where the U-joints would be on the front yoke an the rear end yoke. . I wouldn't base it on an OEM length if your using a differant rearend an tranny from stock.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
slide the yoke in the tranny, leave it out about an inch from tatally in an measure from center to center where the U-joints would be on the front yoke an the rear end yoke. . I wouldn't base it on an OEM length if your using a differant rearend an tranny from stock.
i dont have a yoke. i was hoping to by the entire shaft from strange tomorrow including the yoke. was just wondering if that number of 47.75 sounded accurate.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I can measure in the morning how far our yoke sticks out on a th400 if that will help. what tranny ya got?

·
Registered
958 Posts
i dont have a yoke. i was hoping to by the entire shaft from strange tomorrow including the yoke. was just wondering if that number of 47.75 sounded accurate.

Yes, that is accurate. I just ordered a shaft and my measurement was 48.0" from flange to flange with a 9 inch and glide. If you give Strange that measurement it will fit fine.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i got a 9" with a glide. thanks everyone so far!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Listen.... Get under the car with the rear sitting at ride hieght and measure from the seal on the trans to the center of the joint in the end yoke or to the flat surface where the strap kit meets the yoke or the u-bolt goes thru...

Then let them know if the trans output shaft is out past the seal and by how much, or countered by the seal...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Spohn Performance has driveshaft dimensions already made for different trans and rearend combos. There is 2 versions one is a street driveshaft and the other is the good for 7k clutch dumps and drag racing combos. I have the top gun for a 400 and a 9 in. With strange solid ujoints leaving a 6k off a break and no issues or balance issues. Just a thought hope it helps.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Spohn Performance has driveshaft dimensions already made for different trans and rearend combos.

Im gonna give you all advice.... Don't be lazy, just measure it yourself...

What if, someone before you moved the rear forward or the motor back..
Just take 8 seconds and measure it right the 1st time....

More people make stupid lazy mistakes the 1st time.....
WHY
because of something they read on line about a guy who told them this guy says that this is right...

Trans seal to center of joint in the end yoke, and output shaft to center of joint in the end yoke, at ride height...
IF you have the slip, bottom it out and measure center to center, and let the driveline shop know you measured on center with slip bottomed out.....

Don't worry about what another place has printed on there site...it ain't going to save you money when there was a mistake from YOUR measurement...

I see this almost weekly, and i instruct them before i start, "when you get home measure it like this and call me with the measurement" and they know better cause "there friend says and they're doing it for years".... then the following day or 2 later i get to say "your friend is doing it wrong for years, and cost you a additional $75/$95"

·
Registered
958 Posts

WHY
because of something they read on line about a guy who told them this guy says that this is right...

Trans seal to center of joint in the end yoke, and output shaft to center of joint in the end yoke, at ride height...
IF you have the slip, bottom it out and measure center to center, and let the driveline shop know you measured on center with slip bottomed out.....

Don't worry about what another place has printed on there site...it ain't going to save you money when there was a mistake from YOUR measurement...

I see this almost weekly, and i instruct them before i start, "when you get home measure it like this and call me with the measurement" and they know better cause "there friend says and they're doing it for years".... then the following day or 2 later i get to say "your friend is doing it wrong for years, and cost you a additional $75/$95"

This.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,074 Posts
Hey Supershafts, when I called Strange and a woman answered the phone I told her I needed to talk to someone about ordering a driveshaft. She said you are talking to the person. I said fine, what do you need to know. She told me exactly what you just said. I told her I'd call-back in a few with the info. A week later I had a new driveshaft the exact length I needed. I didn't have a yoke at the time. I measured from the trans to the flats on the rear yoke and then told her how far the shaft stuck outta the trans. She did the rest.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

WHY

i measured from the flat of the trans seal to the flat of yoke just above the u-joint. then i measured the length of the output shaft. all this was done at what i want as the ride height. i was just curious if was the stock length so i could compare it to where the stock torque arm would originally would be. thanks everyone for some accurate advice!! mike
btw, does anyone actually know the stock length of these driveshafts?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts