Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Patron Saint of Liars
8,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
with stock suspension. Every body's been telling me that the body is lifting to much off the rear when it launches.

So I decided to play around with it. Threw some V6 springs and QA1 single adjustable shocks under it.

What setting are any of you guys running on the shocks?

·
Registered
172 Posts
dnt know if this will help i have ladder bars and QA1 and it is set dead lose.. car goes 1.30 60', and just has lakewood 90/10 struts, seems to work car went 9.70 with a alittle 406..

·
X275 Derby Winner!
2,839 Posts
I don't think it is your spring and shock package that is doing this...
Do you run a very short torque arm?

·
Patron Saint of Liars
8,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dnt know if this will help i have ladder bars and QA1 and it is set dead lose.. car goes 1.30 60', and just has lakewood 90/10 struts, seems to work car went 9.70 with a alittle 406..
Dead lose, meaning 1st setting.

Have it on 4th right now.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
If you dead lose on the rear, Id say it wants more weight transfer from the front and the check the torque arm/mounts. My car would roll over on its back if the rear are that lose, but maybe its just my car, It squates pretty hard. It has santuff front and rear. Been 1.23' on a 275 at 3100#.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
what is the angle of your lower control arm from the body? i have found this has a much greater affect than any torque arm setting. i run a "long" arm. i know the jegs arm is medium length.
my control arms are in the bottom hole, and i have a good bit of seperation over when the bars were mounted level. seems to hit the tire hard and keep it planted. with the bars level, or slightly upward, the car will sqaut.

·
Patron Saint of Liars
8,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what is the angle of your lower control arm from the body? i have found this has a much greater affect than any torque arm setting. i run a "long" arm. i know the jegs arm is medium length.
my control arms are in the bottom hole, and i have a good bit of seperation over when the bars were mounted level. seems to hit the tire hard and keep it planted. with the bars level, or slightly upward, the car will sqaut.
I have adjustable rear control arms in stock location. No relocation brackets.

I know car did sqaut some, but track prep where I was last weeking sucked.

Won't be able to test it out again till I get to my home track Nov.12 were prep will be a lot better.

Just trying to get a grip with shock setting. I'm old school.... I test during Time Trails. :)

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Correct me if im wrong but car launchs dead perfect looking to me,,as far as the seperation ,,,,,,,isn't that what you want as the rear is driving/planting into the ground.. Or are you wanting to tame it down..??;)

·
Patron Saint of Liars
8,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Correct me if im wrong but car launchs dead perfect looking to me,,as far as the seperation ,,,,,,,isn't that what you want as the rear is driving/planting into the ground.. Or are you wanting to tame it down..??;)
Trying to see if I can't improve the 60's even more, people say the lift over the back tires is too much.

Not looking to tame it down, just trying to not squat down to much and rub a tire...... but it might not.

That's why I'm looking for a shock setting.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I'm with TJ, first thing I would do would be to get some relocation brackets. Also, the spring rates for the rear springs are the same regardless of V8,V6, or 4 cyl (at least according to MOOG).

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
springs are indeed different. GM had NUMEROUS spring rates for different options and year models. the lt1/ls1 convertible spring works good for moderate power. the v6 springs are very similar. most of the tags are worn off, but there is a 3 letter code on a tag that states the specific spring. very little difference between most of them. but like a coilover setup, a small spring rate change can make a huge difference.

if the track is good, i run about 4 clicks on the back and front. most of the time i keep the front full loose and the back on 1-2 on a drag radial. probably can get really agressive on a slick. some of the guys around here run 6-7 clicks on the back. i personally havent had the time to waste a pass to see if the car likes it.

·
Patron Saint of Liars
8,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Son of a bitch!.....hmmm, looks like I'll have to go see the local dirt track guy and use his spring gauge.
Sorry was getting off of work with the last post.

There was a difference in spring rate between the original iroc springs and the V6 springs; also different rates between V6 springs.

Don't make me look for the paperwork.... I'm tired. :)

·
Patron Saint of Liars
8,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
springs are indeed different. GM had NUMEROUS spring rates for different options and year models. the lt1/ls1 convertible spring works good for moderate power. the v6 springs are very similar. most of the tags are worn off, but there is a 3 letter code on a tag that states the specific spring. very little difference between most of them. but like a coilover setup, a small spring rate change can make a huge difference.

if the track is good, i run about 4 clicks on the back and front. most of the time i keep the front full loose and the back on 1-2 on a drag radial. probably can get really agressive on a slick. some of the guys around here run 6-7 clicks on the back. i personally havent had the time to waste a pass to see if the car likes it.
Bought the shocks from Wolfe Racing and they suggested 3 clicks and wouldn't go pass 6 for drag, so I started on 4 clicks.

I do like the relocation brackets; I been running the old setup since 2001.

·
X275 Derby Winner!
2,839 Posts
It is your torque arm making the car separate, has nothing to do with the shock setting or spring package.

DonB.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
It is your torque arm making the car separate, has nothing to do with the shock setting or spring package.

DonB.
correct. the shock and spring just controls the speed at which is seperates.

·
Patron Saint of Liars
8,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

DonB.
Does make sense now that I'm looking at where the arm is lifting the car at now compared to where the arm would be lifting at the trans cross member.

I was in need of new shocks; looks like I'll upgrade the arm. I like the one Spohn makes running a Turbo 400.

Thanks guy's for the info.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
hope you don't plan to run full exhaust with that spohn peice, you'll never get the exhaust around that huge crossmember. i like the looks of the burkhart piece, and it's much more fairly priced.

for the record, i have a jegster arm and have been able to control the amount of tire-to-fender seperation with lca angle. i'm not as fast as you, and an anti-roll bar would do me some good too, but i went 1.497, 1.495, and 1.493 back to back yesterday.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts