Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
green to go
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what kind of spring pressure (open and closed) a 396 stocker motor would need...its a 325 hp (hyd lifter that have been modified)....there are a few unknowns on the motor...spring pressure is a big one. Its not apart, so no cam numbers to go off of...

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Don't be surprised if anyone ever tells you tha a beehive spring mated to a good lobe design is the best combination for a stocker. ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Its been awhile since i ran Stock Elim. NHRA has specs. for every engine combo as far as pressures go. It will be what GM. sent as engine specs. I would check with NHRA divisional office. The wire size of the spring had to be stock. Could be changed by now. As i said i would check with NHRA or Bobby Warren, or Jeff Taylor people who build that stuff.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
FWIW, Rules allow any spring that fits the head without cutting or other cylinder head modifications. That's how the beehive deal works its way into the mix.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The 325 hp engines need as much pressure as you can get. They are very rpm limited based on lobe desighn(no lift) You are doing good if you can get past 6400rpm. I have built a few of these engines at Burtonsville Performance Machine.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Last two posts are spot on for the 325hp deal. Also the 5/8 rocker stud and corresponding parts deal that Holroyd builds,or I understand now there is some roller rocker approved.Not sure what it is though,Comp or Jesel??

·
Registered
337 Posts
Roller rockers are legal, they just have to mount to head same way as oem. The beehives are technologically advanced, that is for sure, my only scare with them is that if they break they have no dampner or inner spring to hold valve up at all. Between 160-200 closed and 400 open works real well, and the trend low movement tool steel lifter with oil hole is a very nice lifter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.