Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's, I need some info on a 390 ford. I have to put a cam in one and need some help. The cam I am considering is a Comp 292H, 560 lift. He has a set of adjustable rockers to install as well. Will the factory adjustable setup be ok with .560 lift? I also noticed some of the adjusters on the rockers can be turned with your fingers. I know they used to have an oversized adjuster for this problem, where can I get them now? I'm not really stuck on the cam choice, he wants a good lope tho. If I could find less lift with a heathy duration (240's at .050) that would be fine as well. Its in a late 60's pickup (street rod) with a straight gear, so we can cam it decently.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
For all your FE Ford inquiries, I'd go with Barry Rabotnick (sp?) over at Survival Motorsports. Dude knows his stuff and has built all types of FE combo's. Good luck, those 390's sure are durable!

---==Temio Williams
Yuba City, CA

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the aluminum rocker stands OK to run with a big cam? How much spring pressure is acceptable with them?

·
Registered
32,001 Posts
Isky EE-391 250° @ .050 x .560 They may have the oversize screws you need.

If the screws are the hollow type, and old geezer in a Ford dealership showed me a trick – long ago and far away – where you pack the screw with heavy grease and use a punch that fits the ID, I think he had a punch he made to fit, and a fairly large hammer to whack the grease and expand the screw slightly. It doesn’t take much unless they are really loose.

We used to whack the self locking nuts on chebbys to snug them up. Take the nut off the stud, lay it flat and hit it on the top or squeeze it in a press. Apply the force from top to bottom, on the same axis as the stud so it squeezes the threads closer together. Do not distort the nut out-of-round.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts