Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a older v6 from a type I been playing with and as well having a series 2 3800 that we built and Im not sure which to move forward with here.

The series 2 engines are (100 bucks pretty much) cheap and I got 15 back ups now. The older block are exensive cause they are hard to come by. Cause of them being so hard to find I only got one spare and it cost me 800 bucks to get.

Now on the question I have had good numbers with both motors and I really like my old 3.8, but the new motors are very nice and work great with mods just like the old ones do. The motors will run a 67mm turbo as I have used before on both and had great results.

Im fixing to build another vehicle and I decide if I want to run the old or new 3.8! I have my choice of a malibu wagon or a 96 ext cab s10 for vehicle choice.

The series 2 in a ideal motor cause of it cheapness to build and still available, but Im not sure and would like some input here from more skilled racers as for Im just starting out.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My series 2 has never had the heads off, a 202/206 cam, pt6262sp t3 0.63 turbo, PT1001 a/w intercooler. Went 10.2 @ 134 with boost controller set for 18lbs at 3130 lbs. Heads definately seem to be better than 3.8.

Series 2 bottom ends have made 750 whp stock, now you can buy good rods, and throw a set of forged pistons at it as well, probably more reliable than an old 3.8. Zzp had made 850+ whp, not sure if that was still stock bottom end or if they had a built one then.

I'd say the deep skirted series 2 block, is a better starting point, and more readily available.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya looking into a serious buildup on one using the lower end of a gtp cause of the stronger rods.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya, Im going for 9s, but in a street driving car you know for cruises and such. Im sure a 67mm will push me into 9s, but I got to find a good system to tune it with.

·
Registered
183 Posts
3800 and 4l60 could run on factory GM PCM. Can be tuned with tinytuner ( freeware) and flashed with HP Tuners.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya but might have different trans either a 350 or 400

·
Registered
49,465 Posts
3800 and 4l60 could run on factory GM PCM. Can be tuned with tinytuner ( freeware) and flashed with HP Tuners.
iirc there are differences between the fwd and rwd blocks.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no just the heads where the injectors are done got the block and mated it up had to put the camaro heads and stuff on it

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have done a few of the 3800s, got a customer that this weekend we dynoed one with a bw 67mm turbo, BS3,a/w, n/a motor with 15psi on premium pump gas. We were creeping up on it and with a small cam made 580hp and still couldnt see a timing mark on the plugs. 2 deg timing was 20hp increase from the pull before. He went and got more fuel and on the second pull after getting more fuel it poped a piston....thinking we got bad gas as we didnt change anything just confirming numbers after letting it sit for lunch. The last one we did for him was a s/c motor and made 650hp on premium at 15 psi. These things are robust and if i didnt have an alum 572 twin turbo motor in my car I would have a 3800 with a single 80mm on it just for the fun of it. If you need advise or want to see a boost curve we can help.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so I might give you call tomorrow and get some more info from ya cause Im dead set on this motor and you just confirmed it more for me.

·
Registered
183 Posts
350 or 400 trans will require an adapter plate. 4l60 from camaro 3800 car will bolt up, have overdrive for cruising, and you can put $ you saved on adapter towards building it to take 9 sec power.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Stock pistons are definately the weak point. Too lean and rings expand, pop the top ring land off, detonate at all at that power level, and the will be gone.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
might have to throw some meth on it to keep the detnation in check.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ALOT need to say the least, but I will be putting one in my nova and building a second one for a 82 gn for a street car.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
running like hell with 2 street cars is going to be fun!

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Just do like the LS guys do.... Pop the pistons out and regap the rings.

·
Registered
485 Posts
top ring is only down .150", have seen them run a full season at over 850hp with no problems as long as the tune is right. ive also seen a 300hp motor take to tops off the pistons with bag gas or anything small and stupid

·
Registered
1 Posts
top ring is only down .150", have seen them run a full season at over 850hp with no problems as long as the tune is right. ive also seen a 300hp motor take to tops off the pistons with bag gas or anything small and stupid
My buddy and I built a buggy frame with the initial intensions of a 4.3L and a 4l60e. The frame is built, but we decided the buggy would be more fun with a manual tranny, so started looking for one, and got sidetracked. We are now thinking about using a SC'd 3800. I have a couple questions about it.

Also worth nothing, engine mounted up front longintutional (or however you spell that) , so not a sideways application.

If we were to source one from a GP, bonneville, etc.. what is the best way. I have seen many motors for sale, but obviously would need wiring harness, computer etc. Anyone have a suggestion, or am I really gonna have to get a donor car and do the tear down myself?

Second question, this all started with wanting a manual tranny. Anyone know of a good transmission that could be used. Research on the internet really only came up with using a transmission from a V6 camaro/firebird. I have seen adapter plates to bolt up a TH350/400 etc...but nothing about manuals. Plan on using a divorced transfer case to make it 4 wheel drive.

Thomsen, I am also in GR, so if I can find a combo that works I may need to talk to you about a few things! :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts