Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Kelly's Nightmare
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who are the people to talk to about building a GN motor and adding the boost?

I've been looking at a few GN forums but i'm a bit confused about "phase 2" and other gn specific terms.

thanks.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
The motors you are refering to are 3.8 not 3800s. 3800s were the front wheel drive variants.

The below info is not intended to be the end all of all Buick Stage data, but this is what I know. I ran a Stage 2 motor for a few years.

Stage 1 and stage 2 refers to after market blocks that were released thru Buick Motors Sports. They are no longer available. The stage 1 blocks came with 8 bolts per head. They could be modified for 14 bolts.. Some suffered from weak areas between the freeze plugs.

The Stage 2 blocks were available in off center( stock Style) and on center. There were many variations of these blocks. Some had 4 bolt splayed center main caps , some added front and read side bolted caps.

Stage 2 heads were also available in alum and steel. Nice pieces, but must be used on Stage block only. Huge ports and valves.

The question is how much power are you looking to make ?
The stock 3.8 109 block has proven it self as a very strong factory block.

·
Kelly's Nightmare
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

dont really know what they are capable of to be honest. high 8's at 2900lbs would be nice.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
That can be done with a Stage 2 motor( 250 to 274 Ci.)

My GN went 9.20s at 3465 lbs. 250 ci Stage 2 motor with a 42-76 turbo. Stock block cars are going 9.40s @ 3550. Neither is easy, but its an attainable goal. Just takes money LOL!

·
Kelly's Nightmare
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
where do you find the stage 2 blocks and 14bolt heads?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Stage Blocks can be found mostly used. Sometimes they come along in virgin form but those are rare.

TA performance has also tooled up and produced a Aluminum stage block.

In either form, this stuff is not cheap. You can easily spend 7 to 12k on a short block alone. 14 bolt heads can be had from Champion Racing and TA. I prefer Champion.

The stage 2 heads can be found used all over the net. New heads are hard to find. But most used sets can be had already ported with rockers.

There are quite a few guys that can sell you this stuff. Cal and Holly @Hartline Performance can source up most if not all of it for you.

On the Turbo Buick boards guys like Mike Booher have lots of Stage parts usually for sale.

·
الكتاب ا
6,697 Posts
They're a great engine. The stock "109" block is strong, but its limit seems to be the small head-bolts. Good luck with the build!!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I'm currently building a 260" stage 2 engine for a customer,champion heads,hogans intake gt78 turbo,very similar to another one i did awhile back-it ran 9.0's at full weight.
I would try and find a later version of the stage 2 block-the champion heads are def great pieces.whatever you do stick with someone who has built a few of these-they are not like other typical race engines-have a few querks that can cost some money if not done properly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts