Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
they are like that because usually the laden tag weight is over 12,0000 pounds..common is 18,000

and because of that weight,..you also need a commercial permit license to drive with it in most states....
.......EMPTY OR NOT....

there are some trailers that have the larger tires on them that are only DUAL AXLES...but many do not "like them" because oftentimes it makes the floor higher or narrower in between the wheel wells....

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
obviously eight lug wheels

it could be the ten bolt units also...but a real large unit can have a six bolt hub but the bolts are one and a eight inch thread...!!!like a BUS....
these ae all possible, but make the floor height higher in comparison..

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have two 8 lug 7,000 lb axles on mine '36 trailer. I like having two axles because it's less tires to buy and I get the bigger brakes & bearings on all 4 wheels.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I have two 8 lug 7,000 lb axles on mine '36 trailer. I like having two axles because it's less tires to buy and I get the bigger brakes & bearings on all 4 wheels.
Mine is the same way. Also there more tire choices available with 16" tims.

A 5200 lb axle usually has 15" rims.

Billy T.
gnxtc2aol.com

·
RED ROCKET
8,633 Posts
my 36 has 3 5200 axles..just buy a quailty trailer tire...mine are rated at 80psi..and do yourself a favor and buy the 40ft...i wish i would have so now i am thinking about buying another trailer,4ft would have made a big difference....now if buying new,order it with 3 axles and 8lug 16in wheels.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I have a 32' tag trailer with triple 7k axles, but the GTWR is 16,000. Just because it has 21k of axle capacity doesn't mean it has to be rated for it (at least in this state). Tires last forever when they aren't being loaded so heavily!

·
Registered
927 Posts
looking for a used 36-40ft gn trailer, most everything I have found has triple axle 5200lbs. Should I be worried with that? Hauling a 3200+ door car, golf cart, plus all the obvious tools and few spares.
the 5200 lb axles with 15" tires are ok but the 16" tires work better and you have more tire options.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
I would rather have 3 axles then 2 axles. What happens if you don't have a spare tire or a bearing breaks? You don't have to worry as much with 3 axles getting home like that as you would if you only have 2 axles. Yes 2 more tires to buy but seriously how many times have you bought tires from them being low thread or needing replaced?

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Also you need to look at the unloaded weight of the trailer. A lot of the older trailers were heavier and will reduce the amount of stuff you can load into the trailer before maxing out the axles compared to the newer trailers. 16" wheels and tires would be best, but a good 15" tire could be used on that length of trailer without problems too.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yes 3x 5,200's are normal but as mentioned, at your first convenience get some 6 lug 16" wheels and tires. I'm not tire engineer but Ive seen it time and time again. The cheapest 16" tire will outlast the most expensive 15". Get a decent E rated tire, keep em aired up, and forget about it.

·
God's servant Romans 13:4
6,798 Posts
I would not own a trailer without 16"s

1 - 13 of 13 Posts