Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 351w block is apparently a mid 80's block. I has the 1 piece rear main seal. My crank is a 78 model and so is my oilpan. I know I will have to get a new raer main seal and oilpan gasket but shouldn't everything be ok. I already have all the pistons in and don't want to take it apart. I really hope I haven't screwed up

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anybody know

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so a 78 crank that was in a 2 piece rear main seal will be ok in an block that has a 1 piece main seal. You made me feel a lot better. I was afraid I had made a bad mistake

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anybody else want to chime on. I sure hope evrything works out

·
Tellin' it like it is
9,740 Posts
I don't think they are compatible, man. I know Eagle cranks are specifically machined to work in either block, so there is apparently a difference.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats what I was afraid of. If its true I will never here the end of it from dad and my uncle

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh well I guess I am a dumbass. Now I gotta save up for a crankshaft kit.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My 351w block is apparently a mid 80's block. I has the 1 piece rear main seal. My crank is a 78 model and so is my oilpan. I know I will have to get a new raer main seal and oilpan gasket but shouldn't everything be ok. I already have all the pistons in and don't want to take it apart. I really hope I haven't screwed up
NO YOU CAN'T PUT A TWO PIECE SEAL CRANK IN A ONE PIECE BLOCK. A DECENT MACHINE SHOP SHOULD BE ABLE TO MACHINE A TWO PIECE CRANK DOWN TO FIT IN A ONE PIECE BLOCK OR MACHINE A TWO PIECE SEAL BLOCK TO ACCEPT A ONE PIECE CRANK. WHEN I USED TO WORK IN MACHNE SHOPS WE USED TO DO IT ALL THE TIME. IF YOU HAVEN'T A BUNCH OF MONEY IN YOUR BLOCK WHY NOT JUST GET ANOTHER BLOCK? AT MOST BONE YARDS AROUND HERE YOU CAN GET A 351 BLOCK FOR ABOUT $50 BUCKS. WHEREAS A DECENT MACHINE SHOP IS GOING TO CHARGE YOU $150 TO EITHER MACHINE THE CRANK DOWN OR TO MACHINE A BLOCK TO ACCEPT A ONE PIECE SEAL.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks. I already have new .040 pistons and can get a crank kit with bearings for $212 from the parts store so that is what I am going to do

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the block is also bored and has new cam bearings installed. Dad has another 351w that is an older model so he can use my cranks and bearings in his block since they won't work with mine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts